1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Some one keeps stealing storm drain covers !

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nekos, Nov 20, 2011.

1. nekos

nekos Senior Member

The company i work for just picked up a new Target and when i ran threw it on Friday there was a storm drain cover missing in the back of the lot, no big deal. I staked it out told my boss about it and they informed the store. This morning when i went to get some coffee i decided to run threw the lot again and sure enough another storm drain cover is missing.

I don't know what to do. If i hit one of these things during a storm it's going to do some serious damage to my truck or the one of the Skids we have over there. I still haven't told my boss about the 2nd one missing.

Anyway, I'm thinking about mounting a game camera to one of the trees in the area to get some video and maybe even the license of the person who is doing this. Any one else have any ideas or run across a similar situation ?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Call corporate and tell them your going to tack weld them shut.

3. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I was thinking about that also, not sure how well it would go over with the store owners but will definitely mention it to my boss. =)

4. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

i work for the city i live in and theyve been steeling our storm drain covers also as soon as we put a new one in its gone. Im glad i dont plow for the city because when we put the plow against the curb were going over the drain covers. we found one where they tied a rope on the cover and pulled em out with the truck or car we thought about tacking them down also but if theyre doing that then its a mute point.

5. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Same thing happened in my city last year. The people ended up getting caught at the metal return place. Some people will do anything to make a buck.

6. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Scrap yards are not allowed to take them as scrap metal. But with the price of steel so high, guy are stealing them and cutting them up so no one can tell where they came from

7. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Come to Detroit....Its a real Challenge to drive around and miss open Manholes....:rolleyes:

8. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

9. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

I just had a talk with another plowsite member about this very subject earlier today. Something we all need to watch out for.

10. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

We had a bunch go missing at an apartment complex. Easy fix was to spot weld the new ones in place. If they ever need to get access its easy enough to grind off the 2 welds.

11. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

Weld em shut. We have in the past (always with permission) and we don't just "tack" them. They get good solid 2 inch welds at four evenly spaced places or corners - still easy enough to grind off - but tough enough that someone trying to yank them free with a truck will damage the truck.

As for the scrap yards not being allowed to take them... only if their honest... but they will just bury it in a pile of scrap and send it to the smelter.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  12. coostv

coostv Junior Member