1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

some input please... i need help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 79Chevy, Jul 16, 2003.

1. 79Chevy

79Chevy Junior Member

Hey guys,
    I just bought another 1979 Chevy Longbed Pickup and I have a question if anyone can help me out....

The guy I bought the truck from (for $50) said it was running fine, he heard a little knock and decided to pull off the valve covers and mess with the lifters, then for some reason he pulled off the intake and the distributer all the way out of the engine. Now when he put it back together when you turn the key the engine makes an effort to turn but doesnt... kinda like a "umph" sound like it trys to engage the starter...but no joy... if anyone has any ideas please let me know, all the input I get I try.... thanks to everyone..... :help:
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

So it is not turning over correct ?

I'd check the battery,for state of charge first.Then check ALL the connections,including grounds.He may have stripped the main ground connection at the alt bracket,and it won't make good contact.Make sure the battery cable is tight at the starter solenoid.

Hopefully he didn't do something stupid,and crank the valves down way to tight,so it won't turn over.Can you rotate the engine over by hand ?
  3. ejaime23

ejaime23 Junior Member
    from Texas

I had the same problem once, turned out to be bad timing. It sounds to me like that's REALLY bad timing, but since he did pull the distributor all the way out it could very well be that.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

If the engine turns over,but cranks very slowly,then Edgar's correct,it very well could be timing.A little more info on the exact problem will make it easier to diagnose.