1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Some contracts are ripe for the picking....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowedUnder, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnowedUnder

SnowedUnder Member
    from ontario

First, let me preface my comments. I am only one year in the snow business and I did it because the guy who use to do my properties failed miserably.

Now I'm in it and see that there are a LOT of fools in the business. This afternnoon I met with a property manager and asked him if he was happy with his snow contract. That was a silly question because the dummy that does the snow pushing has made a complete mess of it.

So....I'm debating....should I go out and rent an loader, clean up their properties for dirt cheap, maybe even for free? At worse, it would cost me a few thousand dollars but hat will open all kinds of doors for the large commercial contracts. Perhaps even pick one up for the rest of the season.

Have any of you "large properties" guys done this? What where the results?
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i dont understand your relation ship to the customer or the old snow guy
  3. Winterized

Winterized Senior Member

Cannot speak for the snow removal business.....

But I tried to help out at my expense to show how a botched project should have been done.... it was not well received !!!! Better think about it..
  4. SnowedUnder

SnowedUnder Member
    from ontario

Huh? My "old snow guy" is out of the picture. The "new" potential customer is a local retail plaza.
  5. SnowedUnder

SnowedUnder Member
    from ontario

I'm not going to move snow on somebody else's property wihtout authorization. As for the guy who may lose the contract, I couldn't care less. He FAILED to the job right.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Can tell your NEW to the business. You want to do work for FREE???
    And then go after other people's customers....Ever think some of the jobs that aredone poorly is because the client pays like crap or doesnt care as long as most of the snow is moved???
    Most people like you are called......LOWBALLERS or worse. JMO

ERCKWD Member

Don't work for free. Charge them a fair price and do a great job. But free? No way!!
  8. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Have you seen the service agreement at this potential account??/

Odds are that a person with a large retail account knows what is going on - as in pricing level equals service level, or service level is what has been requseted/negotiated.

untill you have a business relationship with a company, a freebie today will get you a pat on the back but next fall you'll be in the same line with everyone else bidding and unless you're low man, you'll be looking a a chitty job again next year...
  9. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Couldnt have said it better.:nod:
  10. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

1. Liability assurance

2. respect

you lack both

have fun hitting that fire hydrant they buried

good luck with your endevour
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  11. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Free? LOL..Come on.... Now, if the potential customer is willing to PAY good money to have a job WELL done,...that may tell you something. If you were to tell him...
    "If you are ever interested in having this place cleaned up and done right, et me know."
    That would be a different story...As LONG as you are charging an adequate fee for the service...If you are not,...then it doesn't tell you squat,...except that you just crossed paths with, and catered to an opportunist.
  12. Govbradst555

Govbradst555 Member

Your right about there being fools in the business.Only a fool would work for less than free. Looks like your answer is run and hide.
  13. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Your right on one thing... There are a LOT of fools in this business.:nod:
  14. SnowedUnder

SnowedUnder Member
    from ontario

Interesting answers.

Ohh.....just for the record, about two decades ago, I started by giving product to a customer. Not a lot, just about a hundred dollars worth for a month or so. I let them know that I would be there when he needed me. Turned out pretty good....
  15. SnowedUnder

SnowedUnder Member
    from ontario

Yes I have. The acount amounts to about 5 grand an acre for what amounts to 30-35 pushes a year on a 12+ acre property. PLUS salt on a cost plus basis. I would also have to take their "lawn care" buisness which amounts to a a guy with scissors and a few hours.

The current service piled the snow and wants to charge for removal while a quarter of the property has two-three foot high snow.
  16. SnowedUnder

SnowedUnder Member
    from ontario

1. Already have that.

2. Who? The owner who is getting a ****** job of the guy who is providing the ****** job?
  17. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I am just floored that a contractor wants to spend several thousands of dollars to do work for free.
  18. SnowedUnder

SnowedUnder Member
    from ontario

I have no intentions of providing anything more then a "free sample". At worse, I am a grand out of pocket. At best, I have a decent contract from somone who is not doing THEIR job.

Now I realize this is a plowing forum where the idea that there are people out there who do inadequate work is a foreign concept, BUT, it exists.

I have pictures of a ten foot mound blocking half the main road through the plaza. I will post them AFTER I'm finished with this. Then you guys can tell me how good a job he is doing....or not.
  19. SnowedUnder

SnowedUnder Member
    from ontario

Several thousand? LOL! Do you knoiw what a loader costs per hour? Maybe a grand at most.....
  20. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Read your own post :
    At worse it would cost me a few thousand dollars!!!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.