1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Some Blizzard questions...

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Brothaman33, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Brothaman33

Brothaman33 Junior Member

I have a 2000 Ford F-250.
    Im looking into buying a blizzard 810, the one im looking at extends, and has the hydrolic wings on it...

I have a few questions.

Has anyone had problems with wear and tear on the truck itself or the springs more specifically, seeing as it is alot of weight. It looks to me that all the weight of the plow is on the A frame at the bottom of the plow, it just looks to me to be alot of weight on one specific area. also I want to make sure that im in the right area, and that i am getting the right plow... i have also been looking at Westerns but havent found a decent used one.

Any information on the right plow for my truck, the weight issue and any other information you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

The reason why you haven't found any Used Western Wideouts. Is they just came out last year. Everyone who bought them swears by them and won't plow with anything else. So you are just going to have to buy a new one. Sorry. :D

3. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Are you asking about how the truck will hold up, or how the plow A-frame holds up? As far as the truck, my Chevy is part of a fleet that includes four F-250's, a couple 350/450's and Broncos. Every single truck has timbrens up front. That takes most of the weight of the plow and transfers it directly to the front axle, bypassing the springs altogether. The trucks still ride decent without the plow, and hold it up good with the plow.

As for the A-frame of the plow - that's how Blizzard designed it, and the design hasn't changed. I haven't heard of any problems regarding the plow itself.

Buy a set of timbrens for your 250 and you'll be golden with your SFA setup. Get the Blizzard 810 - you'll love it.

4. MBB

MBB Senior Member

810 plow assembly = apx 900 lbs. It has been recommended by others in many previous posts to install a set of the front springs used in the diesel powered trucks ( if yours isn't a diesel), adding the timbrens additionally. I have a 99 f350 v10 what I did was to add a set of helper spring leafs to the front as well as the timbrens. worked for me. Less cost than replacing them. Overall I have been pleased with my Blizzard 810 and I bought it used so I somewhat expected to have a few gremlins to deal with. Most of these were /are the same as any make plow, hoses, solenoids, edge wear ect.. At this point I do have wear at the mount pin bushings and need to replace them, this is a 6 year old plow going on its seventh season, biggest problem is no parts stocking dealer in the Milwaukee, WI metro area.Course I have had the same problems with western and fisher parts in years past, what ever I break I have to order it, just me I guess. The real corker is my shop is just 3 doors down from the Western mfg./dist. plant here. Their policy is no direct sales, which I can understand to a point. Western , Fisher, Blizzard all owned by same corp. As far as I know Blizzards are now made at the Tenn. plant. Mine was mfg by the orginal Blizzard company in Calumet, Mich. before the buy out. Check out Jerry,s Service in Erie, PA. he is the go to guru of Blizzards.

5. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

I've got a Wide Out for sale. Ran it last year heads up against my blizzards. Was not impressed. Fisher XLS ran better than the Wide out but still not the big white.

J

6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

that's very interesting. Being a former Fisher guy, but now a Blizzard guy, I was excited at first at the prospect of a yellow plow with the strength and reputation of a Fisher, with the innovative design of a Blizzard. Looked at an XLS, (didn't actually use one) and I thought it looked a little cheap and flimsy. Don't know how that could be, because it supposed to be stronger than the 810, but whatever. It just looked weak, like a Meyer does. Don't know the specs, but the only one I saw in action was on an F350 crew dually, and the plow looked small. Shorter maybe? I always loved trip-edge because it was what I had, and hated full trip. Took a little getting used to on the Blizzard, again it was one thing I was prepared not to like (the other thing being the stupid color choice), but it really has worked out very well. Few situations where I would have preferred the trip-edge, and in all honesty with so much truck behind it I probably would just break something if I couldn't trip the blade. With the center-trip I felt like I could tear the wings off with the kind of offroad plowing situations I get myself into.

What do you mean when you say the XLS ran better than the Wideout? Functionally aren't they the same? I thought they were identical but for paint.

Only problems I've had with my antique 810 is wear and tear stuff. If I were to buy a new plow it would be EXTREMELY difficult for someone to talk me into something other than a brand new 810. But I'm not planning on buying a new one, I'll just keep picking away at this one, replacing things as they need to be.

7. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Dan, sometimes it's hard to pull back from what you've always run and look at things objectively. I've been guilty of it before too. You're not the first person who was excited by the idea of a yellow or red power plow. Heck I've got people here who painted there Blizzards Yellow, Red, Black, Kubota Orange and Lime Green to name just a few.

When Blizzard first came out in 99 I was not looking at the plow for color. I wasn't looking at it for how it tripped or if it had a chain on it. I was looking at it for the what the plow functioned as a whole unit.

The Western and Fishers share the same Hydraulics and controls and slide boxes and wings but the moldboards and main edges as well as the A frame and Quadrant and lift assemblys are different.

Long story short that's been told before. Take the base weight of all three. Then take them to a Cat Scale First weight just the plow as it is when you take it off the truck. Next put it back on the truck and drop just the cutting edges on one section of the scale while leaving the truck on the other. What you'll find is.......

In order of weight of the "plow package" Fisher, Blizzard, Western.

In order of cutting edge weight on the scale Blizzard, Fisher, Western.

PSI and attack angle are the combo for PLOW SCRAPING ABLITIY.

Why do you think the new X blades, and Pro Plus and Boss and most of the other mfg's plows have gone to a " New improved attack angle "

Now take the "chain lift" lift tower assembly off of the plows that have them ( all but Blizzard and the OLD Snoways ) and put it on a scale.

You'll find that you're holding onto 200# or more of "security" that you can short chain or use the provided Ratchet strap assembly in the emergency kit to pick the plow up for transport in the case of a rare issue that the plow won't raise.

So combine the desire to ride up over the snow due to less weight on the cutting edge with the other feature on the Western and Fishers......Flatter face profile......and you push snow and it builds up in front of the plow instead of scraping it up and rolling it like the blizzards do.

You'll have more edge wear with the Blizzards but you scrape down better the first pass also.

The debate will rage on but when you take identical trucks and install each different blade on them and take them out and test them side by side the results are not what most people want to believe.

Just like the V plows vs the power plows and now the snoway revolution plow. Each has it's place for clearing snow. The only place that a V plow will out plow a power plow or the revolution plow though is in deep snow ON THE FIRST PASS INTO THE JOB or if using it as a battering ram to bust open banks of already plowed snow. I'll take a loader for this though.

OK enough ramble. I've run all three offerings in the power plow now ( used a XLS this week to move a mulch pile before we re did the wing edges on it ) and I'll stay with the original white one no matter what color it get's painted.

J