1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Some Advice Please

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by jsilva973, Nov 11, 2006.

1. jsilva973

jsilva973 Junior Member

Hi guys and Ladies, :help:

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is jack and I live in NJ. I would like to get a plow for my truck and need some good advice from people "in the know" after all who better to give advice than those who already Plow.

I recently bought a 2006 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab and want to get a light weight plow for it. I just sold my motorcycle and have the cash now. I plan on doing my driveway and the front of my house, My mom & dad's house ( he's got a spot in front for handicap), and possibly some of my neighbors who are older.

Which light weight plow do you recommend?

What are your thoughts on that rear mounted one I have seen on the net?

I was considering the "Homesteader"...your thoughts?

And other advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.....

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Homesteader is a good personal use plow. I wouldn't recommend a rear plow. If you're talking about the one I'm thinking about, it can go on a car. The problem is cars are not meant to plow snow. Second, it can't handle very much as the snow builds up between the plow and car. Third, (and this applies to all rear plows) without a front plow, you can't stack it. You can only plow it so far, then you've got to figure out how to get the car or truck out of there and how to get the snow out of the travel way.

Stick with the front plow to start with. Add a rear plow to complement the front plow (but you'd usually do this only if you are plowing commercially).

3. jsilva973

jsilva973 Junior Member

4. Mick

from Maine

Given that it's roughly equivalent to the cost of a front-mounted plow, you're still better off with a front plow. Besides what I said before, here's another very good reason:

With this type of plow, you're vehicle is driving in the snow which means less traction. Now add the resistance of the snow you're pulling and the vehicle is going to tend to spin its tires. The only advantage is that having this plow on a two wheel drive vehicle, you are adding weight to the rear end to act as ballast. With a front mounted plow, your vehicle is traveling on a cleared surface. Add ballast by another method and you've got the same effect without the problems of driving on the uncleared snow.

A front plow is much more versatile. It doesn't appear that this plow can be angled.

5. jsilva973

jsilva973 Junior Member

Geez Mick you really know your stuff!

That shed a lot of light on the subject......Thanks.

So your recommendation is the homesteader for what I described ?

6. Mick

from Maine

Homesteader would be a good choice, yes. I simply said that since you asked for a recommendation of that plow specifically. Actually, there are several homeowner type plows made by different manufacturers. Some have hydraulic lift and angling, some lift by electic cable and angle manually. Simply realize that you generally get what you pay for, so don't expect to get a $2000 plow for $900. "Ain't gonna happen".

Why don't you start by clicking on links of snowplow companies with ads above and see what's recommended for your truck? You'll find some differences in design, but it'll give you an idea of what's out there. Feel free to come ask any further questions.

7. jsilva973

jsilva973 Junior Member

Ok Mick,

Judging from what I've read you seem to be the go to guy.

I'm looking for a light weight plow that won't destroy my front end.

I have a 2006 Chevy Colorado crew cab 4WD If this were you which one would you get and how much do you think this is gonna cost me.

I'll most likely take your advice and get the one you recommend.

8. Mick

from Maine

Ok, I am very biased as everything I have or ever had snow-related is Fisher. And that is simply because of where I live. Fisher is made in Rockland, about 35 miles from me. When I started about the only thing available here was Fisher and it was like if you're a Mainer, you will have a Fisher. So, I'd go with a Homesteader. Probably run you about $2500.

BUT - you are from New Jersey. The dealer network needs to be considered. If there is another comparable plow brand nearer you, that would change things. Just me, but I'd never have a plow that was operated by a cable or have to be manually angled.

9. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Yal Mick comes in handy a time or two.:D

SNO Way woul dbe a great plow for your truck.Probally the 22 series.They make a great plow.It is going to cost you around 4 grand but worth every penny.

RCGM
    Brad

10. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

jsilva973,

I would agree that Mick is a fountain of information when it comes to snow removal. :salute: As he has mentioned, the back blade will not allow for stacking and makes it somewhat cumbersome to figure out where to go with the snow. You will get many opinions as to which plow would be the best for your Colorado. Have you considered a Sno-Way for the truck? If not I think you owe it to yourself to check us out. Visit our factory website at http://www.snoway.com . Since your plowing will be mostly residential you should consider our patented hydraulic down pressure system. This will allow you to back drag snow away from the garage area with ease. Either our ST or 22 series model would make a fine addition to your Colorado. We also will offer you the industry's best commercial warranty, 5 years on all structural plow components and 2 years on all electric and hydraulic components. wesport

The Homesteader model will only give you a 1 year consumer warranty. If plowing somewhere other than your own property and would have a failure, I am not sure whether Fisher would consider it as warranty, they may consider it as commercial use. Just something to consider.

Regards,

11. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I would look at a blizzard 720LT which makes the fisher homesteader and Western subranite look like a joke. And don't even get me started on Snoways:angry: Blizzard makes the best of the light duty plows.

12. Mick

from Maine

13. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I own a western and a fisher. They aren't build like their big brothers. Only the fisher LD is the last of the real mini snow plows. Blizzard is a close second.

14. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

To me guys its all about customer service and tech support after you buy the plow. I had a Curtis which I really liked and was a great plow but I had no where close to get parts or service. My new truck has a Boss, the dealer is a mile from my house and they have around 6 other store's. They have parts on hand and know if it is snowing and I need it fixed I need it done now not 2 days from now. That to me is one of the major points to think about when buying.

Regards Mike