1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Some advice please

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JFizzle, Dec 1, 2005.

1. JFizzle

JFizzle Junior Member

This site is sweet! Thanks in advance for even reading this.
    I'm new to the site and to snow removal and have got to make some decisions before the real snow hits.
    I just scored a 76 chev with a 7'6 power-v on it. It had just been sitting in a backyard for years and the owner was sick of looking at it. I jumped on it because I need work now that the landscaping season is over.
    I hope to pick up a few residences whose yards I do in the summer and then would like to get on as a subcontractor with some larger company -at least while I'm just getting my feet wet.
    Anyway, I need to decide what I want as a set up. Frankly, the old chev is junk but the plow is beautiful. I dont have the time to be worrying about whether my truck is going to run, nor do I have the money to fix her up and insure another truck. I also think that people take you more seriously if you look professional. (in my mind, that includes your rig)
    I was thinking I would just take the plow and put it on my 95 f250. (my true love) It would take about $600 for a new under carriage kit for the Ford but sure beats the heck out of buying a whole new plow.
    BUT - then I used the v for a few minutes the other day. It was just a few inches of snow on some driveways but it really seemed to be a pain. I had a difficult time with the v anywhere the concrete curved or was not level. (which was a lot!) It also seemed to be a real pain to have to adjust each side of the blade individually - especially when trying to get it straight. Is that something that will just come with time or do i want to be using something else for that type of job?

What should I do?
    1. Leave the plow on the floor-pan-less chevy, fix her up and try to insure it?
    2. Put the plow on the ford?
    3. Sell the the chev/power v and try to find another cheap plow?

Sorry to take so much time. I need some advice because this has been racking my brain! Thanks a ton.

2. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

if it was me i throw it on the f250...it will be better in the long run, plus you dont wanna fix the little problems on the chevy go out in a big storm and have it crap out on you in the middle then your screwed man...id spend the 600 and throw it on the ford thats me tho...