1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Solve the Model and Application Riddle Please

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by MYWAYINVT, Jan 8, 2008.

1. MYWAYINVT

MYWAYINVT Junior Member
    from vermont

I'm poor and getting poorer as I pay to have my long, narrow driveway, complete with hairpin turn, plowed every Winter. I may have a solution with a used Sno-Way that became available. However, I do not know how to identify the model to see if it would attach to my 1998 4Runner 4x4. It's a 7.5 ft w/ poly blade. I found 2 numbers barely visible along bottom of blade: 97100001A and 97100018C. On one of the ribs is stamped 90C100289 and under the pump cover is a Fenner Fluid Power unit with PN 96100083A Serial# 3556 and Model# DB1037A, Date code NE.
    Can anyone ID this unit? If so, would anyone know if the attachment kits available for my rig will accept this plow? I followed a few threads and find this to be an impressive forum, thanks.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

But yet you can afford internet access and a computer? That doesn't make sense to me but to each their own...

3. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

All he means is he wants to plow himself instead of pay pay pay...whats wrong with that...? :dizzy::dizzy:

There are a few SnoWay reps here that will help with those numbers...just wait a bit...

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

99100578 is the mount number for your vehicle. No Longer available from the factory but it's possible a dealer has one in stock.

It's a moot point as that unit is either a 24 or 25 series plow, and way to heavy for that vehicle.

As the cost of hiring a contractor goes up, more and more people are electing to purchase small plows an do it themselves. A wise decision, you know your driveway better then anyone, and are less likely to do damage then some plow jockey in a hurry. It keeps you from being at the mercy of a over booked, over priced contractor. Instead of waiting to overpay for a service you can do your drive and be gone while they're still in the coffee shop bragging about their projected income.

5. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

WOW....now I know why you go by Basher...

I do have to admit to being that guy in the coffee shop, but only after having already plowed for about 10 hrs straight..

Ouch man...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  6. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

C'mon Basher, were not all like that!! There are some good guys around!!:waving:

7. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Basher is correct in that the mount you would need for the vehicle, #99100578 is no longer available at the factory level.

I also agree that this plow is either a 24 or 25 series plow which was never recommended for this application. Too large of plow and also too much weight for the Toyota's front axle.

The older 18 and ST series would have been recommended models along with our current 22 series application.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you are just doing your own driveway and can find a mount there shouldn't be a big issue using the plow you have. It is too big for the truck if your running all over town and doing alot of plowing but for your own drive I would think it would be ok. JMO

9. beverlylawncare

beverlylawncare Member

Why not look for a snowbear or something? At one point you could get those for like 1000 or 1200. Not a hydraulic unit, manual turn left and right, but does great for a driveway. A little light for straight ice (won't break through) but a lot of commercial plows have difficulty doing that.

I had one on a pathfinder and did my driveway, my neighbors, and my church lot before deciding to get in it full time with bigger stuff. I sold my snowbear to a local volunteer fire dept. with a ranger truck to do their lot.

Always an alternative....

10. MYWAYINVT

MYWAYINVT Junior Member
    from vermont

I was actually considering the Snowbear until my employer indicated we had a used Snoway lying around I could get for a reasonable sum. I thought if it would fit my rig without having to fabricate mounts or otherwise do 'custom' work that the hydraulics would compensate for it being a used plow. My driveway is a real challange even for my service which runs both a 9' Fisher V and a '9 Fisher MC (of course this set up on a F350 Dump IS rather cumbersome to navigate my narrow, twisty drive). My concern would be that a Snowbear might only be good for 6" of snow and would not hold up well if the snow got too deep before I got to it. I have to decide if rounding up a mount and putting this heavier Snoway on my 4Runner is worth the aggravation.

11. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

7.5' blade on a Toyota is going to be alot. Not only is it heavy, but I believe plows for those trucks usually max out around 6'8". If you do decide to get the plow on your truck you will have to modify the front end, use 500+ lbs of ballast and plow with the storm. You could try cutting the plow down to 7' or so. If the truck pushes something that wide that go for it. But if it is wet that is alot of snow to push for such a small vehicle.

12. BenHD

BenHD Junior Member
    from So NH

MYWAYINVT-----listen to Tom from snoway....the larger plow is to heavy for your toyota, but snoway does make plows that will fit. I put a 22 series on my 05 Tacoma and love it. I know the cost is much greater, but how about the repairs on beating your truck. Buy cheap, buy twice! Continue to look for the right plow for your truck or buy new. MTC