1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Solution for Bad Ball Joints!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by plowguy43, Apr 20, 2010.

1. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't know if many of you guys have found this but I frequent a lot of other forums regarding off roading, camping, fishing, blah blah.

Anyways, I found a company called Carli Suspension products that makes replacement Heavy Duty ball joints for the Ram 2500/3500's. From what I'm reading on the other boards, these things are a one and done deal- replace your ball joints with these and you won't have to do it again.

The down side is the cost- $800 for the uppers and lowers (total for all 4).

I guess its not all that bad if you are currently replacing your balljoints every year or so.

Just wanted to throw this out there.

2. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

subscribing!

3. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

You can also get a set of XRF ball joints for like $200-250 for all four. I think snocommander bought a set. They are serviceable and should last a long time. I can't imagine having to replace ball joints every year??? At least not with a good seviceable ball joint. Those Carli's are bad a$$ but $800 is $800.

:drinkup:

4. plowguy43

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I thought SFA's were perfect???

J/K of course. That is sweet, but 8 bills.............ouch.

6. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

Or you swap to king pin axles. It truly your choice and good luck finding king pin axles.

7. plowguy43

They are perfect, after you replace everything :)

8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I've actually considered doing this, and the only hurdle is the ABS. Finding the axle isn't that difficult, there are still tons of 77.5-79 Ford 350's running around or in salvage yards around here.

9. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

Only thing I can think of it find an older ram with out abs and swap swap swap away. :mechanic:

10. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Can't do that, the only older Dodges that would have had king pins were also passenger side drop axles and low pinion.

There are a couple of companies out there that can probably do something for you, Dynatrac is one that comes to mind though.

11. plowguy43

Yup Dynatrac makes a manual hub conversion for about $2000, plus the $800 ball joints, some $60 (each) Spicer U Joints (triple sealed), Aftermarket track bar of your choice, and the front end will be bulletproof.

12. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

I was more thinking about swapping the ford axle into the dodge/ ;)

13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Bit pricey. I changed my original ones at 126k miles and replaced them with NAPA joints. They are very easy to do and I don't mind changing them.

14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

They have the same, if not more problems.

15. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

the carlis are good but very pricey. if you dont want to spend the money id go with spicers or xrf's. the main problem is that most of the weight of the truck is on the lower joint rather than even pressure. what happens is that the lower will wear quicker than the upper, but once the lower joint gets loose it puts more stress on the upper joint. plus the size of the joints should be bigger like the 2nd gens were. its not a bad job, i think its kinda fun :mechanic:

16. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

wounder if the dealer will put them in on if I pay for the part since my 08's going in for the second time for new uppers an lowers, tie rod ins. the dodge stock front ends are junk if u hang a 8'.2" or larger V on them. thank god it's still under warrenty!! hate to say it but I think I may just have to go back to Ford. they got a lot heavier front end and the way this dodge gets mileage wise, i'm better off. 08's an new are a joke, poor milage no nuts on the top end for torque. they really screwed this new motor up. I've had dodge's for a while now an this is the worst I've ever seen it should have keep my 05. ' no mods on my 05' an it would whip up on my 08' going up a hill with 15k trailer on the back of it!!

17. sno commander

from ct

the grass ain't always greener on the other side, your just trading problems :drinkup:

18. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

they all have there flaus. if I wanted bad diesel milage I would have went with a ford before. thats why I went with a dodge plus the power not that the top end sucks why not go back to Ford. get the same milage have a heavier front end an has good power through all the power band!! Plus more back leg room which really I could give to craps but since I am comparing apples to apples. Just drove a buddies rental 2010 and that thing is worse off the line then my 08. actually my 08 was a rocket off the line tell it got around 40K on it. see they had turbo problems in the 6.7 so what they did enstead of fixing what they had they replace it with the turbo that was in the 5.9. in which does not create the same PSI as the one they orginally engineered for the 6.7 walla now you have a turd!! my 08 will not pull a freaking 15K trailer up a hill at 70mph. my 05 had no problems!!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  19. provfirescott

provfirescott Senior Member
    from Ma

having my balljoints done today replacing with Moog

20. sno commander

from ct

i hope you dont have any problems, lately moogs have been nothing but troubles on dodges. alot of people have had problems with them causing alot of sterring wander.