1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Solo or solo with occasional help?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DFLS, Jan 25, 2008.

1. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

Does anyone who goes by the term solo ever get help once in a while? I have been "solo" for 15 years but have had some help once in a while.(Talking about shovelers for the walks and along the garage doors). I would say that I handle 75% of my snowplowing with no help. Does this mean I am not really a solo outfit?
    I know some will cuss me for being in over my head when the BIG ONE hits. [​IMG]
    I did O.K. with 22" a few years back.
    But the big 48" is looming on the horizon.
  2. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Thats not solo. Solo is 99% by your self or 100%. But that is why I do not take jobs which require shoveling. I have a bad back so I can't and people are just not reliable enough for shoveling only. I have 1 old lady I shovel but onlt the 6" in front of garage I cant get with the backdrag and 2 steps. But she pays me $20 extra just for doing that lil bitpayup
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

No not really.
    it's all relevant.
    as we are all in the same boat unless you are under booked.

The big storms slow everyone down..
  4. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

I have a guy who helps maybe only 1% of the time other than that I do the shoveling plowing and salting solo. More money for me!!!!!payup
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Even with 3-4 guys, depending on your schedule obviously, a 48" storm is going to slow you down.

Ask the guys that got the 7' of Lake Effect last year. Were they able to plow that as fast as a 3-4" snowfall??

If the customers you have now are decent customers, they should understand that a large snowfall like that isn't going to be cleaned as quickly as a normal 2-3" snowfall.

I have all commercial, and last year we had back to back weekends with 20" of snow, with a followup of 4" on the following Tuesday.

We weren't as fast with the 20" as the 4", but you do what you can do... how much more can the customer expect??
  6. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Roaming off topic here............. To me and Mr. Webster SOLO means ALONE. Its all good to say solo when there is 1 -8" but when there is over 8" and you find help to shovel which is usually when we try to find the help you are no longer solo. When the going gets tough winter/summer the tough stay solo and work thru the hard times. I still remain SOLO after all these years. No occasional shoveler, no occasional friend, or son helping in the spring, summer, or fall. Good question though - keep up the good work.
  7. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

I started as a "solo" snow plow operation. Now at times I wish I was still a solo.

BTW][][][][[ Part time winter help "shovlers" suck...lazy no good whiney azz good for nothing :realmad:
  8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I am solo these days. But I do have 2 companies that can back me up if I need them. Yes, it will take longer cause they have their customers too. I help them when needed too but its just mainly for salting. i don't care if your solo or if you have a fleet of trucks. A big storm is going to slow you down. If you have a mulitple trucks and it doesn't slow you down then you don't have enough work load. Doesn't pay to have trucks sitting during the small or normal snowfalls.
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Solo here,but I do have backups just in case something happens ,not so much snow but for breakdowns.

22 inches? I can do that with one wing on my Boss!wesport
  10. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

I consider myself solo, however, I get one of my friends (who recently lost his job due to cut backs) to shovel for me and really to keep me company. When he helps, I can shave about 2 hours off of my lineup. That being said, I have, can, and will in the future take care of everything myself if I need to.
  11. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

I had a straight 8' Fisher back then. The steel rods with nuts welded to them that they give you to install it to the box section frame are still eerily rattling around inside my frame because the Fisher mount had to be torched off to make way for my Boss. [​IMG]
  12. I have a partner/friend and we worked together and talk every day.
    But our account numbers doubled and now we are going to be s.o.l.
    if we break.

so, I have not thought of myself as solo, until I realized I have no backup.
    But, all I have is 2 dogs --most of the time. (and they are just company and 150#)
    Yesterday I got a shoveler because we had too many and too little time.
    And I am the oldest one on this site.

My definition (jmo) for 'solo': Your screwed if you break
    I know one true solo that kept his old truck and plow for his own backup.