1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Solid F350 03, plow only truck?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by shooterm, Oct 2, 2010.

1. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

At work there going to sell it pretty cheap. We backed over the box with the reclaimer and dont want another flatbed. Miles are at 190k, plowed every year and it pulled a skiddy for most of them. Thing is the truck is great condition besides the box. Handles like a new truck after last years frontend go through.

My question is even though I've drove it and liked the truck. Can I ignore all hard miles it has on it? My plan if I get the right price would be to remove the box, put salter on the frame, and rig a short platform between salter cab for tools. It wouldnt be used at all between winter strictly a snowplower. Does this sound reasonable or am I just reaching because I want this boxless/flatbedless setup :mechanic:. Thanks for any input!
  2. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

First off, what engine and cab configuration / transmission? 4x4 or no? Details if you would, please.
  3. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

Its a 5.4L actually F-250 Super Duty, regular cab, and 4x4.
  4. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Those are a few miles for a gas engine, but the Tritons are known to go to 300k if maintained properly. Usually, the body falls to **** first. How was it maintained?
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

if the price is right.....go for it
  6. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

You know the maitenance and condition better than any of us.........if the price is right go for it.
  7. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

Its maintained as a fleet truck so quite well. I'm not worried about the body so much because I want the setup I have in my head for it. I guess it all depends on if we sell it this fall or after another winter.
  8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Common items
    Ball joints, front axle u-joints, hubs,sway bar bushings, exhaust manifolds and studs Be prepared to spend some money doing ball joints and hubs if needed,
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  9. JerseyAnthony

JerseyAnthony Junior Member

Hey man,

I say go for it. Just bout a 2001 F250 Superduty Xl 212k 5.4L 5 Speed. Looking for plows everyday. Truck has had 1 owner ford mechanic. I am not hesitant at all to use this truck to plow, front end has new hubs, bearing ball joints and U joints. If the price is right do it, only thing that worries me on the truck is the clutch having to be replaced other then that I love it.