1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Solid bags of de-icer

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by LawnjockyS, Jun 30, 2014.

1. LawnjockyS

LawnjockyS Junior Member

Hi all,

I could use some advice trying to salvage bagged de-icer that has hardened. The brand is Envirotech Services Near Zero from Home Depot. It is a blended granular product. I have quite a bit (4-500 bags) that I would like to be able to use next winter.

My idea is to this summer open the bags, use my tractor mounted tiller to grind it up, let it set in the sun for a day to dry, and then pile it in a shed to keep it out of the weather. I can then hand shovel it into my tailgate spreader.

Will this work? Should I add/mix something in with it. I was also thinking about re-bagging some of it to use in a push cart.

I have no idea want will or won't work so your help is needed.

Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Usually a sledge works the best. Not sure if a tiller won't grind the dirt up either

3. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

this is good question. Anyway, if you had access to a tromell screen with the right screens this would be no problem and you would be done in 20 minutes.

I have used the sledge hammer approach and it works but very time consuming and boring

I don't think the roto tiller will work to your satisfaction but give a whirl. I think the rototiller will break it up into 3 or 4 pieces but not into smaller pieces since the tines have no way of holding the salt still as it grinds up. Think about how it handles rocks.

another option try using a thatcher with the flair blades. By pushing the handle down you can attack the large brick and then work on the smaller chunks.

if you have a chain drive spreader, it might break it up by wearing it down but you are gonna need a new chain drive when you are done

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I know guy had same problem He used a Tree chipper

5. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

Same problem here- I use a hand dirt tamper & put the chunks in a box or lid of some sort so when I smash it, it keeps it contained & not flying all over the place. Builds your forearms like crazy but it works

6. LawnjockyS

LawnjockyS Junior Member

I've decided to build a brine maker. Since this will not be rock salt but a mixed product I wonder about the results. For now I will do the 23% and see what happens.