1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Soliciting for new clients

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Cfdff85, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

for those who only do snow and ice removal, around what date do you go and solicit to get more clients, or what time has proven to be the most effective to bring them in?
  2. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

I solicit new accounts during the months of Aug.Sept. & Oct. and usually get alot of calls the day before the first forecast snow fall. Talk about people being prepared.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I sign all contracts by sept 15th. Anything after that gets a 15% surcharge just because they waited to long. It never snows that early here, but I like to know what the route is, and have time to stake everything before the ground freezes. If they wait till the first forcasted snow then they get put on the end of the list, and the charge just goes up from there.
  4. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

Actually I already am.

I take photo's of the other guys screwing up and send them to property managers with side by sides of my lots and their lots....

Many say they do not make decisions until sept, or Oct. However I have most of the accounts I want by late july.

I will hit every account I have to renew April 1 90% will sign. I will then target the other accounts I want starting April 1st. Many look at me as if I am nuts. however Many Managers forget the job that was done by the time their current guy has had 6 months to remind them what a great guy he is.

Too often Managers leave it to the last minute. This year I turned away a number of accounts in november just because they would not talk to me in August....

It is all in training the customer to think snow when you want them to. I want them thinking snow when the grass guys are busy as I am Snow only..... Part of the push is snow is all we think about so I better prove it and talk snow in 100 degree heat.

Every now and again a big player (property company) gets me to bend however after a few years they are requiring bids by aug 1.

The more time I have the better prepaired I can be.
  5. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Just a question.So when you are out doing snow removal you stop and take a picture of a guy plowing a lot and if he is doing it wrong you send it to the property manager?

6. mountain_goat

mountain_goat Junior Member

Great idea! :)

Just one question, though. How do you contact the property manager? Say you're looking at a 7-eleven parking or gas station lot. If you go inside, you're going to talk to some minimum wage clerk. How do you find out the mailing address for the manager of a property?

7. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

ASk for a manager.They will tell you.But seven eleven is ran by a management company U.S Maintenance handles 7-11.

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me I would be glad to help you out.I have been in business for over 10 years now.

8. payton

payton Senior Member

so you see some one fawking off and instantly you snap photos?

how do you know it was even the company hired to plow the lots?

i know ive met up with my guys in parking lots we dont plow. just to get in touch and make sure all is going well.