1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

solenoid swap

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by joehinvt, Jan 14, 2016.

1. joehinvt

joehinvt Member
    from 44004

Hi all! Changed out my semi new solenoid due to the motor staying running..I upgraded it to the fisher solenoid 5794k-1 as was recommended...BUT now when I operate my fishdtik and move the plow any way...side to side or up...My radio cuts out and my amp output on the dash drops! I checked my wires and all looks good! Is this solenoid different? Grounded positive or something crazy?? Plow still operates as it should but the ampps draw and radio nav unit cutting out scares me a little!

The tall skinny solenoid to the right is what I replaced...The first picture is the one I'm trying to use per my parts guy....
    THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!! Joe H

5794K-1-2.jpg

solenoid 1.png

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

The one you are installing is a better unit.

As for grounding, they are the same.

Can you post a picture of your new solenoid installed and wired.

Do you have a multi-meter tester available?

3. joehinvt

joehinvt Member
    from 44004

As you can see...I have replaced the main wire and I have the small red wire with it...I believe I have the two small wires correct...but since I don't have a schematic for this solenoid I "assumed " these are reversible? Meaning the two big wires can go either way but unsure about the two little ones. ...

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

They both can go to either pole
    No.set pin for the wires.

And no we can't see, no picture yet

5. joehinvt

joehinvt Member
    from 44004

oops...here's the picture....lol

20160114_104955_resized.jpg

6. Philbilly2

I can't remember at the moment, but for some reason I think there is typically 2 wires on the small ground lug (black and orange)?

I believe that one goes into loom like yours shows and one goes directly from solenoid to the negative lug of battery.

My trucks are all out right now for me to look at one. Might be wrong so someone correct me if I am wrong please. Thumbs Up

I just remember from back in the day some of my older trucks, the solenoid was mounted to somewhere that was ground on the truck body or had a wire tagging it to ground.

7. joehinvt

joehinvt Member
    from 44004

I'll go out and double check...But I only remember one wire on each....Plow worked fine with other solenoid other than motor staying engaged once in a while......I would tap the solenoid and it would stop instantly...

8. Philbilly2

Was your old solenoid mounted in the exact same location as the new one or is there a possibility that you had a better ground with the old solenoid?

9. joehinvt

joehinvt Member
    from 44004

Same location...Oddly enough I went out and moved my truck just now and when I moved the plow the radio was fine,my amps dropped considerably but it acted and worked fine...Starting to wonder if maybe my battery is crapping out and I'm barking up the wrong tree! At idle my gauge is pushing 15 volts! `Way higher than normal......

10. dieselss

You need to get a batt and alternator test done.

11. joehinvt

joehinvt Member
    from 44004

I run a parts store... LOL Trying to get out there with my tester to check it out but we are experiencing high volumes of pesky customers!!! lol Hopefully a straight forward fix! Thumbs Up :mechanic:

12. flips87chevy

flips87chevy Member

Try grounding the base of the solenoid directly. Easy to test might as well.

13. dieselss

If it's a 4 pin solenoid it doesn't need to attached to metal. I've put quite a few in plastic parts and never had any issues.

14. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Solenoid is wired correctly.

15. flips87chevy

flips87chevy Member

My bad. I thought it had to be grounded.

16. joehinvt

joehinvt Member
    from 44004

Ok all...Thanks for all the responses! I tested the battery and it being 9 years old...it tested bad! I replaced the battery with the best Interstate battery had to offer..Now everything works like it should...but the volt gauge on my dash still dips whenever I move the plow...Just not as much as with the old battery..Is this Normal? I never noticed when I installed the plow how much it dropped......Should have paid more attention............ lol Thanks again!

17. dieselss

Voltage drop is normal
    Factory sweep gauges are never pinpoint accurate.
    If your that concerned, put a meter on it and see what the meter reads

18. joehinvt

joehinvt Member
    from 44004

ok..Reassuring...Lol Thanks again!Thumbs Up

19. Philbilly2

Glad you got it figured!