1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Solenoid/relay which ones to get

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by daredevil1, Jan 30, 2009.

1. daredevil1

daredevil1 Member

Does it matter what kind of solenoid I use? I was told to get a Ford Taurus solenoid by someone and then someone said that wouldn't work. It's for a 97 Tahoe Unimount system. Also can I get the relays at Advance Auto or Auto Zone and what do I look for? Thanks
  2. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

I would use the original Western solenoid #56131 K. They are more durable IMO.
  3. daredevil1

daredevil1 Member

But a Ford will work?

SKYNYRD Senior Member

not sure what model or anything but my dad put a ford solenoid in our truck (fisher mm2 same solenoid as western) a couple years back after having 3 western ones burn up and melt after 1 storm. the ford has worked ever since with no problems.
  5. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

The Ford will work, but I'd carry a spare if you're doing alot of plowing. The coils in the Ford solenoids aren't rated for continuous duty.
  6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

take the ford one to the parts store and match it up.
  7. daredevil1

daredevil1 Member

Thanks "no lead." Slightly off topic but do you ever listen to The Free Beer and Hot Wings morning show on 97.9?