1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Solenoid Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SWC, Mar 1, 2004.

1. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

I was tightening the nuts on my solenoid, the one that sits on the fender well behind the battery, and I broke one of the posts off.

I got a replacement solenoid, and the directions that came with it says to not use this solenoid for vehicles with an onboard computer.

The reason is that it will result in permanent damage to the EEC processor. The damaged processor can cause a rough running engine or a no start condition, and that vehicles with a computer require a solenoid with suppression diodes.

My question is; Are they referring to the chip that regulates the air fuel mixture, or a different type of computer system?

My truck is a 1993 Chevrolet K2500 with a 5.7 liter 350, can I use this solenoid on this truck, or do I need one with suppression diodes?

2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I am assuming the solenoid you are taking about is the one that controls the plow, since the starter solenoid on a Chevy is mounted directly on the starter. Since it is not tied to the computer it won't matter. EEC is a Ford term. You must have gotten a Ford starter solenoid to replace your fender mounted plow control solenoid. The solenoid MUST be a constant duty solenoid or it will NOT hold up to snow plowing.

3. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

Yes it's a Ford solenoid, and it controls the plow.

The one that was on it was 3 post, the replacement is a 4 post.

Thanks

4. JMR

JMR Senior Member

3 or 4 post makes no difference, you just won't use one of the post. You DO NOT need a suppression diode, but you DO NEED a solenoid rated for constant duty. Although it looks similar and will operate the plow the Ford starter solenoid is NOT rated for constant duty. Get the RIGHT solenoid.

5. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

Can you give me a part number for a constant duty solenoid?

6. JMR

JMR Senior Member

7. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

Thanks for the link.