1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Solenoid problems

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by auguie, Dec 14, 2010.

1. auguie

auguie Junior Member
    from Ohio

Hello, I have a 91 western unimount on a 91 GMC 3/4. My problem is that the plow will just stop working. If I jumper the two main solenoid terminals I can hear the plow motor run and the plow will work again for a very short time. I have already replaced the solenoid and it worked good for about 2 weeks. The solenoid that I used is a official western part bought directly from the dealer for my plow. If anyone can give me some advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Check your other connections at the battery, but I too have had a brand new solenoid crap the bed on me....within the same storm. I replaced it with the newer style round base (not sure if the style really matters) and never had an issue with it again.

Don't over tighten the studs either, if you do and one comes loose within the base...counter productive to say the least.

3. auguie

auguie Junior Member
    from Ohio

Thank you for the advice, I will be sure not to over tighten the new solenoid I just bought. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and just hope it was a faulty piece of Chinese manufactured junk. As I'm sure you can understand I'm just worried that there is an underlying problem causing this.

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Oh I hear ya, but you would be realistically seeing other complications if there were an issue....Erratic plow operation, blown fuses, nonfunctional headlights....controller. I think your good to go if this is the only issue your getting. Obviously make sure there is no chance for the positive posts to be grounding out on something....but other then that, I think your main issue is a faulty component.

If I were to only take one backup part with me plowing.....it would be the realy (Solenoid).

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You can also check for corroded/loose connecters, make sure the power and ground are connected to the battery and run a amp draw test on the motor.,

6. auguie

auguie Junior Member
    from Ohio

I tried a new solenoid last night and I still have nothing. I did make sure that the plow ground was hooked to the battery and the positive was hooked to the solenoid. I'm thinking that I may have a ground issue now. The manual states that the joystick is grounded through the control cables. Does anyone know if there is an actual ground cable in the joystick that hooks to my control cables? I have not had an opportunity yet to tear into it. As with most older plow trucks I have an issue with corrosion under the truck and I think this is probably making some ground issues for me. Thanks a lot for your time and advice.