1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Solenoid problem

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by mweb250, Mar 3, 2008.

1. mweb250

mweb250 Junior Member
    from midwest

I have a MT plow installed on a 2003 chevy 2500. The plow is 4 years old and I have had to replace the solenoid 4 times. Is there something that is causing them to go bad early.
    I think they should last more than a season.
    Thanks
    Mike

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Most common cause of constant solenoid failure after poor, dirty, loose connections is the operator.

Allowing the pump to run against the pressure reliefs draws excessive amperage and shortens the life of pumps, motors and 12volt MS.

3. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

stacking...

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Explain?.........

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you are replacing them with a regular automotive solenoid then that is part of the problem too. The solenoid is a heavy duty unit.
    I am wondering about the stacking thing too??
    Raising the blade while stacking isn't any harder on the solenoid then raising the blade when you are done with a pass.

6. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I think what is almost being said is that when the blade has reached it's furthest point of travel and you finger is mashing down the button because you want more of that angle you are running the pump against itself and the solenoid has a bunch of amps running through it and that will trash it faster than anything. :eek:

that's the plowing 101 I got, if I am wrong somebody will correct it.
    :salute:

7. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

if you are stacking heavy snow lift the blade up like it is a front end loader then it hast to work extra hard and can cause the relay to go

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's all about prolonged high amperage draw