1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Solenoid problem on conventional western plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by greenshoes, Jan 6, 2014.

1. greenshoes

greenshoes Junior Member

Hi, my name is Eileen and my plow out of nowhere started working intermittently. While driving I heard a clicking sound that you hear when you are plowing and I was not touching the plow controller inside the truck at the time. Seemed the solenoid was getting power for no reason. Took it back to shop. Replaced the solenoid. One half of the old one was melted. Put in new solenoid and the same clicking happened when it got electricity. Took it out to save the solenoid.
    Battery is fine. Checked ground wires and looked for worn wires. Could it be the controller? What else could it be? Thanks

2. Sbdrums24

Sbdrums24 Junior Member
    from 23238

Definitely the controller needs to be checked. It's sounds like it's sending a signal to the solenoid...

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yep ill agree look at your controller. It sends a gnd signal to the solenoid, which completes the circle activating the plow

4. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I agree with the others. Sounds like the copper contacts inside the controller are constantly touching. Maybe the spring inside is bad as well. You may have trouble finding a decent one since they are pretty out-dated. I think I have one with new copper contact and spring laying around if you need one. I remember changing those out before I bought a new ultra-mount. Send me a PM if your interested.