1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Solenoid power failed

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by C&H Plowing, Oct 6, 2010.

1. C&H Plowing

C&H Plowing Member

Just hooked the wiring on 2001 gmc 2500 and I dont have any power going to the plow from the red wire. At the solenoid i got power on one side only. Any imput please

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does the solenoid even click when you press a control function that requires the pump to run?

3. C&H Plowing

C&H Plowing Member

No Its a brand new. It could be bad or maybe i hooked something wrong, I went by the instructions

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

New doesn't necessarily mean good, but check your work first. Use a test light checking the white/black wire on the solenoid for power while a helper pushes a raise or angle button. Got power there? If so, next check the brown wires on the other small post on the solenoid. Have GOOD ground there? If so then the solenoid is defective.

However if you either do not have power on the white/black, or ground on the brown then either you're wiring job wasn't up to snuff and you'll need to double check it...or the the issue lies in the controller.

Lack of good ground on the brown means you don't have a good connection on the brown wire at the negative battery terminal, which is where it should be if it's not.

5. C&H Plowing

C&H Plowing Member

The solenoid clicks when I push the angle button or up button. The red wire coming out of the bumper only has power when I push up or angle button, is it suppoesed to have power all the time? When I hook the connectors from the plow to the truck and the swich on the side doesnt do anything. I got lights on the plow when I flip the switch.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you have power on the battery side of the solenoid, it clicks strongly when you press an angle or raise function yet power isn't coming from the solenoid to the plow (when those functions are pressed) then the solenoid is defective.