1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

solenoid just clicks

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by JD7210, Feb 7, 2010.

1. JD7210

JD7210 Junior Member
    from Midwest

Went to hook up the v plow, and went to raise the tower and it just clicks. Installed a new solenoid from O'reillys, and still nothing. Hooked another truck to the plow and the plow worked. Any suggestions on where I can start looking on the truck side. Plow lights do work just no power. Thanks for your help.
  2. leon

leon Senior Member

plow etc.

Check the fuses for a hairline crack, the soleniod may be stuck, is the solenoid exposed where you can remove it an possibly clean it?

I would try some contact cleaner on the wiring too- or some isopropyl alcohol to clean the connections. perhaps the controller has dust in it?

Are you getting 12 volts at the solenoid?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Jump the under hood solenoid with a screwdriver. Does the motor run then?

Will it run if you press the raise function on the controller with the plow connections plugged in?
  4. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

is the plow in float??
  5. Sierrabarry

Sierrabarry Junior Member

I have had this happen too and the truck side power lead wasn't coming in contact with the plow side. I took a real small screwdriver and pried the copper open a little and that made a big difference. If you want to just replace the truck side wires it will run you about $50.
  6. hdbagger23

hdbagger23 Junior Member
    from iowa

I had the same exact problem
  7. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Also check your battery connections. Plows pull so much power and just a little corrosion can cause havoc on plow functions. Make sure they are clean, tight and protected with terminal coating or dielectric grease
  8. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Junior Member
    from Iowa

I'm having the same problems guys-HELP!
    I was plowing early this morning and all of a sudden the blade quit moving- no up,or side to side. I could hear the solenoid click for each try but that was it.
    Well, I got the truck home and threw it in the shop to let it thaw out-it was -9 this morning so I was hoping it was just frozen.
    Tonight I just got done cleaning some wires and still just a click. I checked voltage at the under hood solenoid and it's just under 12 volts. If I jump a screwdriver across the large terminals on the solenoid nothing happens. When I hit a button the voltage goes down to about 3 vts. I can't get a reading of voltage on the actual motor with the cover off. Does this sound like it could just be a solenoid? I don't know squat about solenoids!
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you jumped the solenoid and it still didn't run then it's a dead motor or a connection issue on the power cables, anywhere between the battery and the pump motor.

You can run a set of jumper cables directly between the battery and motor to rule it out, if it then runs it's a connection issue not a motor issue. If it doesn't, then the motors dead.
  10. funkymonkey

from Iowa

I really didn't want to hear that! I just jumped the positive side and nothin! Sounds like it's motor time huh?
    Now to find one...
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Use the ground cable too, not just the positive cable. May still just be a ground issue.
  12. funkymonkey

from Iowa

Used a pair of cables...no movement.Bummer!