1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Solenoid Isarmatic Hydraulic Issue

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by SWOHSnow, Nov 27, 2010.

1. SWOHSnow

SWOHSnow Junior Member

I have a western plow, that is a solenoid isarmatic hydraulic pump. It won't raise or angle. Checked electric motor, it spins. You can hear it act like it supposed to operate when angling or raising, just won't do anything. I've replaced pump. New fluid. Still nothing. Thoughts? Ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

2. snowman6

snowman6 Senior Member

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

cable control or electric?

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Solenoid is electric.

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

Did you replace the fluid prior to the issue or after? Have you checked the solenoids valves to make sure the wiring is all intact as it should be. Pulling them wouldn't hurt either, inj fact there was a similar issue recently where the end of the valves just needed to be popped in to free them up.

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

Does this mean you hear clicking, or is the motor actually engaging and whining away?

7. SWOHSnow

SWOHSnow Junior Member

Replaced fluid after...Wiring appears intact. I will try pulling them tomorrow and see if that helps. Thanks

8. SWOHSnow

SWOHSnow Junior Member

Ryan,

Motor is actually engaging and whining away. The plow actually "jumps" for a brief second, like it's trying to do what it's supposed to, but no joy. Honestly, if you weren't looking at the plow, just listening, you would think it was operating properly...sounds good overall.

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

Definitely pull the 3 valves and inspect them.

10. SWOHSnow

SWOHSnow Junior Member

I did pull the 3 way valve earlier...slightly dirty, but o-rings appeared good. Cleaned valve and replaced...still nothing...got disgusted, that's when I posted here...Not sure where else to go...I'd feel better if at least part of the functions worked, but with all functions not doing anything, leaves me wondering exactly what it could be...

11. SWOHSnow

SWOHSnow Junior Member

By the way, I did check "magnetic" pull on all three solenoids. They do have magnetic pull, not sure how strong they should be...

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

Strong enough, but the springs may still be bound up. When you remove them, poke the ends with a needle or something.

13. SWOHSnow

SWOHSnow Junior Member

So, I pulled the 2, 3 and 4 way valves. They were clean. Springs good. I'm at a loss.

Someone mentioned to me that it could be the joystick has gone back...trying to find one I can borrow to test that idea out...We shall see.

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

15. SWOHSnow

SWOHSnow Junior Member

Email sent to your address

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

Email returned.

17. Brislo

Brislo Junior Member

Western Electric Solenoid Pump Problem

I have the same exact problem as SWOHSnow has and did everything that was mentioned. I am still at a loss and can't figure out why it won't move at all. I've replaced the pump and still nothing. Motor runs, just will not move up, down or angle. HELP !!

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

You're missing something then. Start from the beginning, is this a new to you plow, or have you had it working before?

19. Brislo

Brislo Junior Member

Western Plow

Yes, this is the first winter i used this plow. It worked great until one day i was plowing and the blade stoped moving in the up position and i haven't been able to move it up or down or angle. I have checked everything i can think of. The motor is relatively new and spins strong. I replaced the pump, replaced the solenoid under hood and changed the fluid. I swapped out the joystick with a buddies that works and still nothing. The battery is new. I've checked for power on all solenoids and it's there. I removed the solenoids and bench tested them and they all moved. and have magnetic force. The blade will still not move. When i first try to move it, it jumps a little bit then the motor just runs. To me it sounds like the motor starts to labor a bit after a few seconds, like it's trying to push fluid but something is blocking it from going to the rams. Maybe a pressure valve inside ?? *****HELP ***** !!!!

20. RepoMan207

from Maine

How exactly did you change the fluid? When you checked the valves, did you clean the bores out, and check the orings?