1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

solenoid is clicking

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dieselpusher, Dec 26, 2006.

1. dieselpusher

dieselpusher Senior Member

i have an old western style plow

doesnt lift or angle but the solenoid clicks

is it dead?

i tried tapping it and i got nothing.

if so what kind is it so i know what to buy

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the solinoid click's then I wouldn't be so quick to condem it just yet.Take a screw driver and "jump" the two large terminal's on the solinoid and see if the pump motor runs.If it doesn't then look for a poor/corroded connection on all your power AND ground wire's.If all your connection's are good then you'll probably need to replace the motor on the pump.

3. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

I had the same thing earlier this year check all your wires going to the solenoid . Most of the time you can get your pump motor rebuilt at a auto starter\ alternator rebuilder . much cheaper then a e-bay rebuild

4. Rickco

Rickco Member

First thing to do is disconnect The Neg. cable on your battery. Clean all connections,Pos.&Neg. Check voltage on the Batt. side of the solenoid. With the joy stick held in the raise position (Cation the blade coud move!) check voltage on the pump side of the solenoid. If you still have 12+ volts there then check it at the stud on the pump motor.If there is still juice there it's time for a rebuild.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

5. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

YUP, I had the same thing and just bought a new motor for $125.00.

I will let you know this weekend if that fixes it, but I am %100 sure it does, since the motor was not turning when I took it off of the pump housing.

Tim

6. dieselpusher

right but im really starting to believe that its the solenoid because frequently the solenoid would freeze up and click then a few light taps with a wrench would make it work but that isnt working now so ill check what you guys said to do thankss

ill let you know

7. dieselpusher

alright so i bought a new solenoid i was told it was just a ford starter solenoid how does it get hooked up??

8. Rickco

Rickco Member

Do not use the ford solenoid. it wont hold up to the continuous use. Go to a plow dealer and get the right part. They are only about $15. The one you have will work but not for long.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Rickco's right, if your sure it is the soleinoid dont use a starter solenoid.Get the correct one from your plow dealer or someone online.

10. dieselpusher

okay thanks

11. dieselpusher

okay well update...i got the plow to work

it wasnt the solenoid it was the motor if i tapped the motor with a small wrench it would work....do i need a new motor =[? or is in need of a little cleanup

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you want to keep it reliable I'd just replace the motor.

13. dieselpusher

yeah thats probably what ill do

but for the meantime

that top cap on the motor with the 2 flat head screws does that come off and the brushes and whatnot are they in there?

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea you can pull the 2 screw's out of the top and check the brushes, but be forewarned they go all the way through the motor and thread into the bottom plate so it'll probably fall all apart in your hand's! There just like a starter motor.

15. dieselpusher

right right

okay great

well im out

have a great night thanks for your help and ill let you know what happens tomorrow

16. dieselpusher

yeah well today i flushed the fluid and cleaned all the connections and its all good
    thanks for all your help

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

newplower, that's why the first few of us that replied to your question mentioned to check all the electrical connection's first. 9 time's outta 10 when you have a problem it's usually a poor connection somewhere. LOL Glad to hear you got it fixed.

18. dieselpusher

hence the name newplower lol

but i know i should have listened to you guys im sorry =P

but i learn by my mistakes so there i go i know now next time haha im in jersey and im not seein snow for a while
    sucks