1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Solenoid cover screws

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by pipelayer, Nov 23, 2015.

1. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

Has anyone every successfully extracted a snapped solenoid cover screw off one of these plows? If so, how, I began to drill and extract one yesterday before the bit snapped.. I'd like to get this done so I don't have to silicone these things on.

2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

It's easier if the plow pump is off the truck / rack. Had one happen to me. Luckily it was high enough to use a vise grip on. Once I got it out, I neverseized the new ones going back in. No issue since.

3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I assume you are talking of the insta-act pump manifold. This is common. Even the motor mount bolts break in the aluminum manifold. I have never used a drill or an easy out to extract broken studs or bolts. I strip manifold down and weld nuts to the broken bolt. It may take a few tries but no messed up threads to contend with. Then use never sieze for re-assembly.

4. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

TJS I've seen a lot of your stuff on here, and talked to you before about certain things, I'm from southern CT as well, rather close to you. But the broken bolts are flush, to the manifold, and I do not have a TIG welder nor the TIG capability to do this this time around. Seems a little too intricate for my entry level TIG skills.. I know you do though lol, and I know it's common, I worked at a fisher dealer and old beat up plows would come in with bailing wire holding covers on.

5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

So what if flush. Get it to me. Stop with the drill

6. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

Message me some contact info. I'll gladly bring it to you.

7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Hey I sent you 2 PMs on this. I have not heard back. Are you all set?. As I said in the PM, it needs to be stripped down of all the internal parts first.
    T.J.