1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Solenoid Control, Mounting

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Al Thorp, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Al Thorp

Al Thorp Junior Member

I can't figure out how to properly mount the solenoid control inside the cab.

I have a Western Unimount Plow installed on a 2001 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4, 5.2L V8 engine, VIN 1B7HF16Y21S144711.

Installation Instructions (13639 page 5, item) simply states: "Move seat forward. Locate control and bracket assembly on floor tunnel so that it does not interfere with the operation of vehicle controls."

The most logical place I can think of mounting the control is to the rear of the 4 wheel drive selector lever, but I can't figure out a way to install it such that it won't interfere with the OBD connector, the 12V power outlet or the 4x4 selector lever itself.

Any thoughts? I would be happy to post pictures of the cab if it would help. Thanks.
  2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

If you are talking about the controller itself, you can put it anywhere you want to basically. As long as the wires reach. You could also get an exstension cable for the controller and that will give you 4 more feet of wire to work with.

$24.30 plus shipping....
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  3. Al Thorp

Al Thorp Junior Member

Thanks sechracer. I wonder if this has more to do with Dodge trucks than it does Western plows. The plow is set up and working fine. I'll take a picture of the cab and put it online.
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You can mount the controller in an location that is comfortable for you as long as the harness reaches. Many times we would take the long L braket, cut 3/4 of the long leg off, drill 2 holes in it and screw it right to the lower dash panel in a spot that was comfortable for the driver. Another good spot is to find something that will fit in one of the spaces of the cup holder on the center counsel and velcroe or screw the the controller to it, this usually requires the extension cable.
  5. Al Thorp

Al Thorp Junior Member

Got it!

Thanks Dock Crasher 935.

Your suggestion to modify the bracket made all the difference! Doesn't seem that I should have to do that, but it was necessary I think.