1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Solenoid Connection Isarmatic

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by m_iker2, Nov 13, 2011.

1. m_iker2

m_iker2 Junior Member

I know this is probably the most common question, but in all of my searching, I've still not been able to find the answer to my question. I've got a Isarmatic pump and I've got four wires and have no idea where they go. I have a blue (from what I've read this controls the raise), a white (lower), a green (left/right), and a black. Each one of these wires has a female spade connection to connect directly to the solenoids except for the black wire. I'm assuming this is for the ground. This wire has three spades on it. I have two solenoids which each have two male spades on them. As far as I gather, I need to have the white on the closest solenoid to the motor on the blade side, the green on the next one, and the blue on the third one. Each one of the three black spades should be on each solenoid. My issue is I don't have a spot to connect the final black spade nor the blue wire. I have two solenoids in line with each other each with two spades and a third solenoid below the one furthest from the pump with no spades. If someone can tell me where the remaining wires go, I would appreciate it. I've looked through the service manuals, but they really don't give me the "picture" I'm looking for.

Thanks.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

All three coils should have two male spades on them, power in an then a ground. If you have the original plastic cover there should be a sticker inside it that shows the wire orientation. This model plow has a common ground so the wire with three spades on it (black / org) goes to the motor ground. Note that some plows have a common positive. Blue goes to S3 (single lower coil) Green goes to S2 (top left) White with a yellow tracer is for S1 (top right)

It doesn't matter electricaly which way you put the wires on each coil but I always put the common ground plug to the outside toward the cover just cus of space constraints.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  3. m_iker2

m_iker2 Junior Member

Which direction are the spades supposed to be coming off the S3 solenoid?

4. mishnick

The spades will bend a bit away from the valve body. If they are staight out (perpendicular to the coil) the cover won't fit on without hitting them.

5. m_iker2

m_iker2 Junior Member

So, when you say plastic cover, there is supposed to be a large plastic cover over all of the solenoids?

6. mishnick

7. m_iker2

m_iker2 Junior Member

I would to extend a huge thanks. I was able to get the moving tonight. One thing I ran into though, when lowering with the joystick, the blade comes down in a big hurry. Is there any way to lower the blade slower via the pump or can I lower it slower with the joystick. Again, thanks for your help.

8. m_iker2

m_iker2 Junior Member

By the way, I found out why there was no cover over the solenoids; one of the retaining bolts which hold the cover on is broken in the top bolt hole. Looks like I'll probably be using a little electrical grease on the connections.

9. mishnick

there is a thing called the "quill" that is used to restrict down speed. If you look at the top of the valve block (driver's side of the pump assembly) you will see three drillings. There is one slotted screw to the right rear corner, that is the quill. Turn it in to slow the drop speed and turn it out to speed up the drop. (Remember that right and left, front and back are oriented always based on when you are sitting in the driver's seat)

10. m_iker2

m_iker2 Junior Member

Is there a way I can get it to stop when it's coming down without bumping it to raise or turning off the switch?

11. mishnick

Sounds like you have the joystick controller. As I understand they automatically go into float mode when you hit down. The handheld controllers need to hit bottom and then have the down button held for a moment to go into float mode. I know of no way to turn it off on the joystick. But if you are concerned about smashing your floor or breaking the cutting edge just stick a couple of short 2X4s under it to soften the blow until you get the quill adjusted.

12. m_iker2

m_iker2 Junior Member

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.