1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

solenoid clicking but blade doesn't move

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by shaneandmissy11, Jan 14, 2009.

1. shaneandmissy11

shaneandmissy11 Junior Member
    from iowa

Ive got a western unimount poly blade, and 2000 F150

Worked great last night.

This morning it raised VERY slow. I set the blade back down, and it wouldn't do anything. I can hear it clicking under the hood. I put it in the garage to warm up, and same thing.

Thought my solenoid was going out, so I had someone hold the raise button, and jumped the terminals. Blade raised right up. It was late and I was trying to get it going for the snow tonight, so I went up, and got a ford Solenoid. Hooked it up, and its doing the same thing. I put my volt meter on the wire from the control to the solenoid and verified it was getting current when the control was pushed. I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

2. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Double check all your grounds first.... I would remove and clean up. Also would make sure groung runs directly to battery...no where else.

3. shaneandmissy11

from iowa

Put a new western solenoid on, and works fine now.

4. shaneandmissy11

from iowa

New problem now. (actually its done this for awhile)
    When using it, it dims the lights, and cuts the heater fan motor down. like its really bogging down the electrical system. Also the plow seems to run slower then normal.

Alternator is less then 1 year old, and Battery is a less then 2 year old Motorcraft.

Are the the 2 problems connected? Any thoughts on what to check. My grounds, and connections all look good.

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Only way to stop, or lessen the light from dimming is to add a second battery.

You have to remember the plow motor will draw at least 60 amps or more... The motor is basically a starter mortor....