1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sold out of 8 footers... 8'6 is my only option... please read.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowKid150, Dec 8, 2005.

1. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Hey guys, i have had 8 foot plows forever, and last season i sold my
    F250 with 8 foot western pro, and bought my new 2005 F 350 Super cab, short bed diesel with 6000# front end. My problem is i wanted to get the same plow, the 8 foot western pro, and they are sold out of them, and allt hey have are the 8.5 pro plus plows, which is much beefier, only a 150 bucks more, but the 6 inches is what scares me.... is it THAT much bigger when doing resi's or is it easy to get use to... thanks a lot.

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

You will get used to the extra 6" if you have to, it does not seem unmanageable, I plow with a 7'5" most of the time but use an 8'6" V plow on occasion, I could do all my drives with an 8'6" and not have a problem.

I have to ask though, Whats wrong with going to another dealer who has the 8'6" in stock?

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

you will like it!!:waving: get the 8.6:nod:

4. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

try the boss 8FT trip edge you will love it

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I'm surprised no one has told him to "go wide" yet. LOL!
    Vipereng2, I'm sure he knows about Boss plows!
    It sounds like he likes western plows and was asking about plow length not makes of plows.

6. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

You should be fine with the extra 6 inches.I actually wish i had that over a 8 foot plow. I have a driveways that is a big loop in the front and its hard getting close to the sides without driving all over it. The pro plus is a nice plow built really strong.

7. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I have 9fts on my 350 pickups and would not go back.Get the 8.6 I think you will be happy with it,that is what I have on quad cab only because blizzard doesn't make a 9ft straight only a 860

8. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

If I'm not incorrect, that's only an additional 3 inches on each side, so you might get used to it right away. I say "go for it"

9. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

You are from my area where are you getting the plow from? As far as the extra 6in you can get use to anything, it depens on how tight your drives are. Also have you looked into fisher its pretty much the same, only difference is the trip edge.

10. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Don't

You'll never get in your home garage to work on it in a pinch!

11. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Why not all you do is ANGLE the blade and it goes right in????????.And really how many times does that happen????more then likely your going to fix it on the spot

12. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

9 Foot is actually quite common in residential places. So an 8.6 is not bad.

13. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

8.6 is bare minumum on a superduty,i have an 8.2 v i bought it when it was on my gmc which was fine because the truck was narrower but i think i am going to get some 9.2 mold boards.my buddy runs a 9 foot pro on his new 06 crew and he loves it.if the plow is too big for the job you are doing then you probably don't want to do it anyway!

14. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I ordered an 8' western for my ram, but they called me the day before my install appt and said my order was screwed up so I could wait another week or take an 8'6" for the same price.

I went with the 8'6" and I'm glad I did. I clear my mirrors more easily so I can scrape up against buildings, etc... yet the extra 6" makes no difference in transport, etc...

15. ChipsEarthWorks

ChipsEarthWorks Senior Member
    from CT

And it DOES work I have seen him do it. I have a 8ft fisher and would love a bigger plow it just gets too close for comfort sometimes that extra width would help alot in getting closer to things with out hitting them. and do not worry about weight if thats what you are worryed about.

16. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

don't do it, that extra three inches per side is way too much. You will have so much more snow built up in front of you that 6.0 won't be able to push it.

17. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I hope your kidding;)

18. MOW ME OVER

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

Ha Detriotdan that last statement is a huge load of BS if I have ever heard one.

19. ChipsEarthWorks

ChipsEarthWorks Senior Member
    from CT

i have to agree please someone tell me that statement about not being able to push it was a joke.

20. mpflood

mpflood Member

Nothing like waiting till the last minute Plow Kid.

So when will ya have it?:)