1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sold my plow truck :( sad story, happy ending

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cocco78, Dec 16, 2003.

1. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

Well it was a sad weekend for me. I sold my 79 F350 over the weekend. I originally bought it for the D60's to put under a Jeep but after driving the truck it reminded me so much of my first truck, a 78 F150 Custom, that I couldn't part it. I ended up pulling the front D60 and, thats going under a Jeep, and replacing it with a fresh HD D44 from a 79 F250. I figured best of both worlds, my Jeep gets a D60 and I get a plow truck. I only got to use the truck for 1 snow storm and some stuff happened and I had to sell it.

Luckily I sold it to my father in law who's gunna use it around the farm and at camp. He works for the county and plows for a living, said that old ford plowed some serious amounts of snow in just the 3 days he's had it.

[​IMG]

But on the bright side he gave me his old plow truck. A 1972 International Scout II, 345 V8, auto, posi rear, 6.5" Western hydro-turn. He parked it about 12 years ago when the body started to cave in on itself, just put a new trans in the season before to! Long story short, new gas, battery, oil, and some starting fluid the sucker started and drove out from its resting place on 4 flat tires. Hell even the plow functioned perfect.

After getting it home and putting some new tires on it, I propped up the body a little so the doors would shut, welding in a bunch of bracing, bled the brakes, it runs and drives! I have to give it a tune up and trace some wiring problems to get all the lights to work....

I should have some pics of the beast by the end of the week!

2. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Those I want to see. :)

3. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

I had an old Scout. You cannot beat that 345 engine for durability. Its a freakin' schoolbus/dumptruck engine. Block, crank, rods, all of it is heavy duty stuff. Engine weighs twice as much as a Big Three equivelant. The bad thing about Scouts is the wiring sucks, and they came pre-rusted from the factory. If you ever want info, go to Binderbulletin.org, that is the motherland of IH. Enjoy....

4. clueless

clueless Member
    from pa

old scout,a 73 with some gas and a battery will still run!!

dsc00014.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2003
  5. clueless

clueless Member
    from pa

here is what is left of thefloor,a piece of steel wedged under the frame and welded to the body holds the cab up on the fdrivers side,as a piece of angle iron welded between the sides helps the body from spreading.you have to use a bar to pry the back half of the body back so the door closes with the bungee cord! but all in all,plowed snow for 14 yrs!

scout4.jpg

6. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

Old scouts just rock! I swear you could just strap a milk crate to the chassis and go, you don't even need the body...

7. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

Ok, here is the first of many pics. I'm going to try and put up a simple web page this weekend with the rest of the pics if I have time.

[​IMG]

8. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

i like that old scout:)

9. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

Well, I worked on the damn thing all weekend and can't get it to run right. :mad: Its only got 87k miles on it but I think sitting for so many years took its toll on it. I'm gunna rebuild the carb over x-mas break and get new plugs and wires...

But I might have a nice small western for sale if I don't get it running decent!

10. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

get the varnish out of the gas tank

john

11. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

12. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

It lives! Woo-hoo... After flushing the tank and fuel lines, new fuel filters, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, choke it started and roared to life. I'm thrilled, the neighbors however don't seem to be as happy :p no exhaust on the thing yet! But after I got it running I dropped it in drive and pulled it out of the garage and the brake pedal went right to the floar as I coasted out into the road :eek: So it looks like tomorrow I'll be welding up a new exhaust and bleeding the brakes.

I also picked up a good used set of controler cables, and got the plow working just right. I can't wait to use this beast.

And its snowing right now in Upper MI... So I should be plowing tomorrow afternoon.

13. jeepboy

jeepboy Member

I've owned 3 scouts over the years and they were really good plowing machines. 2 were the travelers....long wheel base,and last one was a pickup. Good luck with your"binder"

14. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

im glad to hear you got your truck running:cool: good luck plowing with it and get pics of the truck plowing:nod:

15. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Sounds good, I see the TJ in the background of th eone pic, is that were the D-60's going?
    are you on Jeepsunlimited?

PS, i know a guy who is selling a body and frame for a scout, he took the drivetrain (diesel) out of it, put it on a YJ frame and is making a diesel CJ-7, it's gonna be really cool.

-Jer

16. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

Hey,
    The D60's aint going under the TJ. I sold the front D60 I pulled from the F350 and made enough cash from the axle to have a nice 31 spline, disk braked, 4.10 geared 8.8 rear axle for the TJ made. I also was able to get a XJ high pinion non-disco D30 and have it regeared to 4.10's. I also took a HD D44 front axle from the same year F250 in on trade, which I put back under the F350. All that for one D60, not to bad. Then I sold the truck for close to what I paid for it, and got the scout in on trade!

I used to be on JU alot, not much anymore since I found http://www.michiganjeepers.com ... I buy and sell alot of Jeep parts and these guy give me a much better connection to do business with in my own state. Not as many people on as JU, but nicer atmosphere, and better tech! Check it out, my sign on name is cocco_78, pretty much at any forum I'm on.

Later,
    Mark