1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sold loader, now looking at AG tractor for larger parking lots

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cmo18, Sep 24, 2013.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I sold my loader today that we used with a 12' pusher to plow large lots.

I'm looking for something more comfortable to run and have always wanted to try a AG tractor.

My question is can a 100+ hp tractor be able to plow the lots my loader could?

We do get a lot of snow up here in Canada, and often get 12" plus per storm. Do the AG tractor have traction problems?

I went and looked at a Valtra N101 tractor today with a 9'-15' HLA snowing 4200 series and a double auger blower. Its frame mounted so I would plow the lot than blow the piles.

What are yours opinions and thoughts on the tractor and my plan? My biggest lot is 2 acres, 350ft pushes...

Last year we had to scrape quiet a view lots with the bucket instead of dumping a lot of extra salt, will I get enough down pressure from the frame mounted to scrape up hard packed snow?

valtra 1.JPG
  2. schrader

schrader PlowSite.com Addict

Been running AG tractors for 10 years here, never any issues with traction. Turning with a full box can be tough as the articulating loader was better at that. Dont know much about the Valtra tractor but the hLA snowwing and the Normand snow blower are rock solid. Good luck with it.
  3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Plow box seems small for the size of the tractor My 86hp tractor pushes a 11ft box

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I like the 9-15 over the 10-16 only because I find it easier to pull out snow between trailers at loading docks. Ive seen alot more valtra tractors in your area then ontario that were forsale online. That blower looks massive

Not sure if thats a tractor thats forsale at a dealer or a private deal but look and search around who can service it for you and where you can get parts.

Is valtra the company that has the full underbody shield. Alot of valtras used in the forest industry ?
  5. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Valtra was originally a forest machine. Than they produced the normal tractor.

It is no longer sold in NA however parts are still available so the dealer that use to sell them says.

Another possible option is a Kubota M110x with a Kooy blade 10ft blade?? Anyone ever hear of those?
  6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I suppose it would begin to depend on the specifics such as how large of a loader are you trying to replace, and how large on average are your lots?

Having a loader or a backhoe is almost essential for a snow removal operation. While I love tractors for snow, I think having at least one unit that can stack snow, load trucks, and relocate snow on-site.
  7. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Kooy blade is from Kooy Bros lawn equipment here in Toronto. Copy of the Horst design I believe. Most of the Kubotas they sell come with there blades.

Cant go wrong with a Horst or the ones that are made in your neighboring province Team Storm Metal Plus.
  8. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I know having a loader around would be nice to stak the frozen banks, but i have too pick. It seems a ag tractor is more comfortable, faster road speed, and i can plow some lots that have no room to stack.

A 3 acre lot is the biggest i push. To the guys that run frame mounted blades, do you get down pressure and can you scrape down to pave like a loader and bucket can? Thats my main concern.

Stacking can be done with a blower.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  9. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I'd go Kubota, or Deere, Kioti, Massey Ferguson, New Holland....the big well known names. As much for resale as parts and service.

You need to go test the machine yourself to see about downpressure. Not only is opinon variable, so are individual machines.

I will add that whatever AG machine you buy should be hydrostatic. Nothing worse than a day inside a manual trans machine that goes too slow or too fast in reverse to match the snow and the blower speed. With hydro, you can actually turn around sideways in the seat and run the reverse pedal with your left foot. Match the speed to the blower and conditions- and waaaay easier on your neck.

I can see why you would want the AG machine, it's a year round tool that can run 40 different attachments.
    That said, a 30K pound articulated loader with an 18 foot box is hard to replace when you want to move serious snow.
  10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have both The loader plow does better on the packing snow but my frame mounted plow is twice as heavy then my loader plow and takes real hard pack snow for it to ride up.
    On the loader I run in float more so less stress on the loader hitting cracks

I run 10ft rear blades on both tractors and I can put down pressure with them. Most time pack snow is no match with them.
  11. Grassman09

So much so you cant steer.
  12. Neige

Neige Sponsor

The biggest advantage you will have with the tractor is blowing back your snow piles. Nothing stacks and gets rid of snow like a blower. With the telescopic chute you will even be able to load trucks quickly and with lots more snow. As for scraping you can put down pressure but forget about any kind of steering. The blade will scrape very well in float. Yes you have great vision in an ag tractor, but with that blower in the back your tractor becomes very long, something to consider. For the size lots you are considering the ag tractor will be a great fit. As for traction if you are buying new request Nokian tires they do make a difference. I heard the mention of Kubota, I would go for the M135 so you never lack power. Lastly I would be remiss if I did not suggest considering a Metal Pless 9-15 or even an 8-16 if you are buying new.
    Let us know what you finally decide, and keep the pictures coming.
  13. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I went today and looked at a 2009-2010 Kubota M110x with a 10-16 Kooey blade. Looks nice, didnt get to try it. The 110 is 9000lbs, and I would put a 2000lbs blower on the back, would that be heavy enough or should I be looking at a bigger tractor?
  14. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

post #52, tires are filled with beat juice. Has plent of Hp to get the job done but I dont hang a blower off the back so that might make a difference. On the heavy wet snow over 5'' it can be difficult trying to break a trail because of traction/weight. With the blade angled it wants to shove the front over.
  15. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Valtra is an awesome tractor.... they were bought out by Agco so parts are easy to get . Their Sissu engine is a very reliable power plant. We have a N 141 and will be looking at the new Massey 6600 series when they are released as they too a running the Sissu engine.
  16. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Heck, if you add the wieght of the plow (You can always lift it a bit to add traction) you're up over 12,500 pounds. That is plenty.
  17. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Looks good, any videos? You dont get down pressure out of that setup right?
  18. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

The tractor i looked at had the hi-tech electronic drivetrain, and im wondering if there has ever been electrical issues? Nothing worse than electrical issues!
  19. DaleK

DaleK Junior Member

Whatever tractor you get make sure it has a transmission heater as well as the block heater. Well worth it.
  20. Grassman09

Provided you have somewhere to plug it in. I don't plug my tractor in and it works just fine.