1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Solar power for loaders

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pdmissle, Dec 26, 2011.

1. pdmissle

pdmissle Member

Does anyone use solar power for equipment left on site? One of my new lots does not have a place that I can plug in my loader. I would like to keep a battery tender and the block heater plugged in. I was thinking solar might be the answer? Any ideas??? :confused:

2. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

i wanna say its not gonna work...
    I dont use any Block heaters on any of our diesel equipment..
    You can use a Solar panal for charging the batteries but a block heater plugged into a Battery for what 1-3 hours would require over 9 batteries so i hear!
    I just read it here, not saying its 100% accurate but it sounds about right! http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...eaking-block-heater-can-run-off-inverter.html

Never been a fan of waking up 3 hours before to turn on a loader! SUCKSSS!
    i know a generator would suck but i know people who do it.
    what kind of place is it where you dont have access to a plug???

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  3. pdmissle

pdmissle Member

The loader is going to be kept across the street for a church in an overflow lot. It wouldn't always need to be plugged in, just on the colder nights.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I'm going to have to agree. Depending on the Block heater, some are up to 1500 watts.

Depending on your loader, you probably better off taking the time and going through the glow-plug system and making sure that is operating at peak performance.

That and the generator isn't a bad idea to have as a back-up plan. Not only to warm the block, but to use a battery charger if need be.

Can you work it out with the church also to pull it close to the building and plug it in only when you know your going to use it?

5. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

to run a block heater you will need a HUGE solar array. I agree with the others, make sure your glow plugs,injectors, starter and battery are in good shape, run a solar charger to keep the battery's topped off. Maybe drop a generator and let if run for awhile while you do some other property's if its a really cold night.

6. pdmissle

pdmissle Member

What size generator should I pick up?

7. Plow man Foster

Well I would say a Honda Eu2000 should work. Your block heater should be 1000 to 1500 WATTS. So a Honda Eu2000 should work in THEORY. Hondas are the by far best! i really dont think i have to explain. They're also the quietist i've ever heard.

With a generator you can also Wire up your trickle charger and block heater into the same surge. As shown in the pic below.

Now you have to think about theft. Definitely gonna want to chain that honda up. I dont care if it is 2, 3AM
    [​IMG]

8. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

So you plan to use a solar pannel which uses sunlight to power a block heater at night via moonlight???

9. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a better suggestion that will reduce theft of an actual generator unit.
    Get a diesel fired generator that will run off your loader fuel tank to power your block heater and make sure you use anti gel. And if It gets really cold, get a fuel tank heater.

10. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I work in the woods. There is no elect. We use jumper hoses off the heater in the pick up. We install quick couplings to the block of the machine. By the time I sharpen and gas my saw, the machine is up to 100 degrees block temp. It starts like it's summer. It costs about $150 in material and about 1 -2 hours to install.

11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I would love to be able to plug in at a box store we do but for two years they said no. It gets pretty cold around here (except this year so far) but I just spray a squirt of either and it fires right up. I've since switched to using WD-40 instead of the either, fires right up. I let it warm up for 15-20 minutes and she runs great.

12. Plow man Foster

I have a buddy at the race track who has a setup like this But instad of warming his Sled he cools it. Just immagine going 100+ MPH on a Snow mobile on pavement. After that they hook it up to a pump that circulates the Trans fluid(?) through a Cooler with ice then back to the tank. SO COOL!

Do you do any other sites that are close by that would allow you to plug it in there? If not carry soe starter fluid and let it warm up for a little, if you dont wanna use the generator.

13. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

wish i could do that with my stuff. heard of it before and thought it was a great idea

Between oil cooled skid loaders and dex-cooled chevys it wont work

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Diesel fired Block Heater

A buddy of mine put a diesel fired block heater in his Land Rover, I seem to remember it was less than $450.00. It's does draw a few amps to run the pump but not enough to put a strain on the batteries. He runs it all night and all day while he's at work and never had an issue. All you really need to do is fire it up up a few hours before you plan to start pushing.

12-28-3.jpg

12-28.jpg

12-28-2.jpg

15. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

That is awesome, could you find out who makes that nifty block heater?

16. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

http://www.webasto.us/general/en/html/8245.html

Thermo Top C model, I was mistaken on the cost......it's about $1000.00.

So where in Colorado are you?

17. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Plow More, your Avatar creeps the hell out of me......... It's almost like it belongs in silence of the lambs or something.