1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Solar panel charger

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Deershack, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

I want to put one of those solar panel chargers in my L8000 to keep the batteries charged. Can I run the charger direct to the batteries? If not, what do I need. I don't want to cook them. Thanks for any help.
  2. tjslider

tjslider Member

Try something like this.....

I have 2, one on my plow truck and one on my enclosed car trailer. They work great to maintain, slow to charge though.

3. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

i used these in the military and i was wondering how they work in civilian world cause all our old diesels have trouble starting
  4. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

I bought the larger version to maintain a pickup I dont drive much. It has a aftermarket alarm and even with the larger capacity of the maintainer/charger, it could not keep up. You also need to make sure that if you plug into a accessory port, that its constant hot not switched otherwise you need to go to directly to the battery.
  5. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

I know nothing about electricity. I was hoping to use a 45 amp ( I believe) solar panel to keep the three batteries charged. Biggest concern is cooking or boiling the batteries. Do I need to run the panel through something else to prevent this?

I'm thinking of taking the setup with me deer hunting for my shack to run small light and car radio while hunting. Thought this would keep a deep cycle battery topped off for the small amount of draw from the light first thing in the morning and the radio during the day.
  6. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

They make a special controller to use, for exactly what you want. Northern Tool has stuff on there website to give to an idea.