1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Software to help with Routing

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Keith_480231, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Keith_480231

Keith_480231 Senior Member

Does anyone know of any kind of software that you can buy to set up routes that will sort to the fastest or best way of doing customers? Would like to use the "search" function here but what would I search under? Thanks for your help Keith

2. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

I am also interested in this....:waving:

3. Keith_480231

Anybody have suggestions????

4. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

Microsoft Streets & Trips has a function to optimize stops along a route. You can even move them manually after optimizing in case you have some high priority customers.

It's pretty cheap at Staples and office supply places.

5. Keith_480231

With this software you can input addresses into it and it will route them for you????

6. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

That's exactly what it can do.

Email some addresses and I will route them and send them back so you can see. I dont know your area at all so we can both see how well it actually works.

bigpita@verizon.net

7. Keith_480231

Alright will do. Appreciate the help man. If this works it will save COUNTLESS hours of work.:) :)

8. AzonPM

AzonPM Junior Member

I used microsoft streets and trips last year. Awesome program. Makes life a breeze. Does more than just create a route it estimates gas cost and useage, allows you to add stops and give you a total time line. It worth the money.

9. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I use Blizzard Buster

10. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Take a look at Mapsource which is bundled with the upper-end Garmin products.

We use Garmin and have optimized our routes with it. They have a package that will do route optimization on the fly. (Several of the freight companies use it)

11. Keith_480231

Sounds like I am going to give Streets and Trips a shot. How much is it????

12. AzonPM

AzonPM Junior Member

Streets and Trips is only good for creating the route at home and printing it. If you have any kind of GPS system and software thats the best way to go.

With Streets and Trips I print out the route ever plow and on that sheet is where I note times, inches etc.

13. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

Streets and Trips will only put you on the street that the house is on. I have tried it and it will not put the cursor on the EXACT location of the house, just the street so be aware.