1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Software for fliers/postcards etc

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by OrganicsL&L, Feb 1, 2013.

1. OrganicsL&L

OrganicsL&L Senior Member
    from Maine

Planning on bringing my design of marketing materials in house...i already write the copy and pick the photos...then approve the layout, so I might as well go ahead and put it all together.

So what programs do you all recommend?

2. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

I normally use Publisher, but hell if ya know what you are doing even MS Paint works.

3. OrganicsL&L

from Maine

I don't know what I'm doing as far as the software goes....so publisher it is! Thanks!

4. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

I use Publisher as well. It's not as intense as Adobe Illustrator but it gets the job done.

5. OrganicsL&L

from Maine

I don't need anything over the top....just need to create postcards/mailers, and then some handouts etc.

6. Ford.crazy

Ford.crazy Junior Member

I've used openoffice, when I did my own flyers and post cards. They have a lot of templates and you just change the pics and wording on to make it your own. It's simple to use and fast to figure out.

7. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Yes open office is great & I've used MS Paint ALOT, I also use corel photo & or video, both have great graphic editing features. I would also research getting more fonts(free from many sites) & various graphics & start taking pics! Here is a fall/pre-halloween clean up flyer I made last year with MS Paint, & an internet image. So you don't need fancy software, just some creativity & some timeThumbs Up

Fall flyer.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  8. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

BC > That is a nice flyer.
    I use Avery Design Pro. Free download from Avery.com
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. BC Handyman

Thanks Lettuce, so see organics, if you got time you dont need to pay a publisher, just the printer maybe.:D

10. Laszlo Almasi

No, it Publisher as in MS Publisher from Microsoft. Not a physical publisher.

11. BC Handyman

ohh, I never heard of that. Is it free? Easy to use?

12. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

Publisher is part of Office, most of the time it is installed on a purchased PC.

Openoffice has several good freeware bits you can use that are similar, and free.

Also, I want to make sure everyone knows that ComicSans font is only acceptable if being used to make a 12 year old's birthday invitation. Anything else, it makes you look like an idiot.

http://bancomicsans.com/main/

13. Laszlo Almasi

It's quite easy to use and not very expensive unless you have to buy Office to get it. Like hateful said, it is usually installed but I think it can be purchased seperately...well, the first time I got it I purchased it seperately anyway.

Office can be purchased for $139 USD from MS but you might be able to find it for less at a local retailer. The stand alone is MSPUB is $109.99 and is a permanent software item. The others now are being sold as subscriptions per year. Kinda lame hostage deal IMHO.