1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Softener salt.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Sno, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Figure this is the place to ask, It's driving me nuts trying to figure it out.

Why the heck does all the stores Put Water softener salt pelets out by the skid full every winter.?? Right alongside the rocksalt.

I ended up with a bag to try it but I dont think I'll bother.

What is the use of this stuff in winter and why the mass qty's every winter at Kmart, Lowes, Home depot and such.

2. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I have used the blue bag "solar salt" in a pinch, it worked ok, but the large balls/pellets I assume wouldnt.

3. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

In areas where salt is seldom used such as Leadville you can buy the high dollar stuff in small bags or I can buy softener salt for pennies.
  4. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Salt is salt!!!!! I have used water softener salt before, IT works!!

You use whatever you can get your hands on in a pinch
  5. hillworks7669

hillworks7669 Junior Member

The difference is in the particle size. The smaller the particle the quicker it will provide results. To see this in action take three ice cubes and plates, put one on a plate. Take a softener salt pellet put it on one, ice melt on one, and put table salt on other. Place plates in refrigerator and check them every two minutes(one if you like), and you will see the diference.
  6. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

The difference between

softner salt & rock salt is the softner salt is a clean salt & usually peletized & larger in size so it will it longer to desolve.

Rock salt has lots of impurities & salt dust in a bag.

Don't use rock salt in your water softner unless you want a softner repairmen to service the unit ;) their are some water softner sales & repairmen that tell you to use rock salt or salt blocks so that they then will have softner repair work.:nono: Some guy will cheat their own mother to make a buck:(
  7. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

I'll add this as it was near the softner salt as well at the HD. It's the -40 degree icemelt, have you ever tried it? I had to use it because it was requested (not that this area has seen -40 in quite some time), but he paid quite a bit for it. Anyway, that product was outstanding... Never seen something work so fast... To me, not worth the $12+ for a 40lb, but it was nice to be able to see the effects...
  8. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

I went into a perkins last sunday that had spread rock salt on the sidewalks, kinda hard to walk on in church shoes.
  9. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Solar salt is all we use for spreading on our lots. Never on concrete. All the customers like the fact that after the snow and ice has melted all that is left is a white powder from the salt. This washes away with the next rain or whatever. No piles of sand or dirt to cleanup in the springand no tracking dirt into the buildings. I have saved clients money by not having to charge them to clean up the parking lot of sand in the spring. about $4 for 50lb bag.
  10. plowboy1984

plowboy1984 Junior Member

My Brother works for Culligan water softeners, and he gets the 80lb bags for free from work, they work good if you really need it, i keep a couple in the truck.