1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Soft ground

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnandplow42, Apr 10, 2005.

1. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

How do you guys deal with badly unfrozen ground when theres a storm? :eek: Just lift the plow a little?

Talk about a pain in the ass, especially stone driveways.

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

It is a pain in the a$$ :cry:
    Just make sure you get the plow up before going near the lawn, if your too soon on lifting, you can always take another stab at it going slower. Too late, obviousley you will find out when you see the lawn rolling up :cry:

3. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

How I do it is I take the slack up on the safety chain so the plow just barely hits the ground, works well for me.

4. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

If youre on uneven terrain, its almost impossible to lift the plow just a little, and expect it to stay that much off the ground.

What they did with the company plow here (and many people around here have been doing it from what I was told) is to weld a piece of iron pipe to the bottom of the plow blade. It rides on the pipe and doesnt dig in, it also rides over imperfections in the terrain better. Ive run my little plow both ways and the pipe makes a noticeable decrease in pushing force, but it still works well. Same theory as a u-edge, a little noisier but more durable. For next season Im going to just make a piece of pipe to bolt or pin to holes drilled in the scraper blade. Then itd be easy to go from one to the other. One could do this on commercial plows too, itd be easy to go from one customer who wants it scraped down good, to another who has gravel or soft terrain.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I back drag stuff that will dig in. If I have to push it I keep bumping up and down till the push stops. This is where our skill comes into play.
    If the place is a PIA charge them as such!