1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Soft brakes

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by fordmstng66, Jan 19, 2012.

1. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

Ok i have a 96 k2500. When i step on brakes to stoP they go to the floor and the brake light goes on. When i try to bleed them (truck off) the peddle stiffens up like it should. As soon as the truck is running the peddle goes right back to the floor. I am not losing any fluid. Of i had to guess i would think maybe the master cylinder, but am not sure. Before i spend money i thought i would see if anyone else can give me any ideas so i can get this fixed, as it is a little annoying. Thqnks in advance.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Take out ABS fuse (underhood) and then try again

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If the truck is off and you step on the pedal and hold it,,,does the pedal move slowly to the floor????
    If no,,,,then im not thinking master.
    I would ck the front calpiers to see if the slides are frozen. (common prob.)

4. fordmstng66

Mcw i will try that next time i have a chance. Have to talk the wife into helping, i used up my favors when she helped bleed brakes on my mustang.

Dieselss, i will have to try and hold it down, but i dont think it peddle goes to the floor. Calipers are a year old, and i just put new pads and rotors on it a few months ago, and slides were good.

5. dieselss

Ok that rules out the fronts. Now this sucks but did you look at the tears? I had the same truck and hated doing rear brakes. How are the flex lines?

6. dieselss

Just for spits and shiggles, double ck the ft pads. Just make sure pads aren't cocked in the calipers.

7. nrplowguy

nrplowguy Senior Member

trucks in that age time up to 2002 if they have soft brakes pull the ABS fuse and let it ride. I have seen many of these like this and that was the fix only down side is you dont have ABS anymore, you dont want to know what it will take to get a new abs block up front lots o money!!!!

8. fordmstng66

I replaced those also. New ines, cylinders, everything inside the drums including the drums are new. Flex lines in the front looked good, and adjusted rear, seamed a little better for a while.

9. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i would go with master, seems like when there is vaccum it it just blowing the fluid past the seal's!

10. fordmstng66

Just pull the fuse? Had a 2000 that had a faulty ABS, luckily was covered on my extended warrenty, and i remember seeing what it would have cose me to replace.

11. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I had exactly the same symptoms when I had a pinhole leak in a steel brake line.

12. dieselss

Ok so lines are good. Drums are good....just triple ck the fronts......but I would be leaning towards the abs. If the brakes don't bleed down with truck off...that rules out master....pull the fuse as mentioned and see what happens

13. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

^^^^^ and if it works, cuss and throw fuse very far cause it wont be needed!:laughing:

14. dieselss

Lol...... Far far away

15. fordmstng66

Thanks for the help, i pulled the fuse last night, and it was really good for a bit, then it started to get worse again. I guess it is time to check the lines, and make sure there is not a hole somewhere. It does hold pressure when the truck is off. I guess back to the drawing board by checking the front calipers, and recheck the adjustment on the rear drums.

16. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I'm not sure and someone else may be able to say for sure but you might need to bleed the ABS with a tech 2 as there may be air trapped in there. Personally though, i would keep the ABS fuse out and take the bulb for it out of the gage cluster...its downright dangerous driving around with those things activated when they are faulty.

17. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Is this a new problem? The calipers aren't on upside down are they?

18. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

+1

Meh, that's not the problem he's having. If he was having the common unwanted ABS activation problem (caused by a faulty, corroded, or mismounted wheel speed sensor) then I would agree, definitely defuse ABS until you fix it.

19. fordmstng66

It is not a new problem, just getting worse. I don't think i have a bad line, as i have not noticed any fluid loss. That is something i have been watching. I noticed today that the seals where the resivor pops into seem really bad, but again does not show signs of leaking fluid in that are either. I have taken the ABS fuse out, and will not put it back in.

How would the caliper being upside down cause soft brakes? I will look into that though, as i am hoping to pull the wheels off over the weekend if the snow is not bad.

20. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

If the bleeder is not on the top side of the caliper it will not let all the air out...I have learned from experience LOL. If that is the case you would have the drivers and passenger reversed.