1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Soder and heat shrink?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by rusty_keg_3, Jan 7, 2011.

1. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Ok, i have lights on my bumper, hooked up to ky reverse lights... And 2 pn my bulkhead... But forgot to water proof and i just used plain connectors... So dose any one sodder then use heat shrink? Or just get some waterproof connectors?
  2. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

you can try some die-electric grease on the connectors or heat shrink the connectors just make sure they're nice and tight. You don't want any junk in those connections!
  3. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

If you cant undo connectors for heat shrink and dont want to replace with weatherprofoof connections try liquid tape. Will go over dielectric grease and works well to prevent chafing.
    We always use solder if convenient or marine grade heat shrink connections and wires /tin coated/ A little more money but it lasts especially in a salt enviroment!
  4. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

I always use heat shrink and almost never solder connections.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Yup same here.
  6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I solder and heat shrink all connections that are outside the truck. I use crimp and heat shirnk on all connections inside the truck.
  7. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Solder is nice, but here's something to think about. Absolutely none of the wire connections on any production vehicle (other than circuit boards) are soldered. That's right, they're all simply crimped.

My personal preferance is like several of the rest of you. I use either dielectric grease or a special corrosion resistant "light bulb grease" we get from a local truck parts place on crimped connectors, followed by marine grade shrink wrap. Never had a problem - even on our salters.
  8. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

the one bad thing with solder some of the blends when they mix with salt will corode
  9. rusty_keg_3

Hmm... This is all confusing me lol...

So wht souldt i do, crimp with the grease, and heat shrink? Or what
  10. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

Its personal choice.

A. Crimp + grease and heat shrink
    B. Solder + heat shrink

Both ways will last a long time.
  11. rusty_keg_3

What if u were to sodder, grease, then shrink? Or is that not nessicary?

I just want to do it right and last...
  12. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I solder and heat shrink everything, inside/outside. Have yet to have one fail.
  13. s&mll

s&mll Senior Member
    from NJ

The reason why most crimps fail is due to the installers crimp itself.

Those are useless.

Those are better.

Those are all we use. 0 failures to date. 3m heatshrink. Die electric grease is usless unless connection is underwater. Or you are using spade terminals.

Dont buy heatshrink from harbor freight or any of the china crap. 3m ONLY.
  14. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

15. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

I use these and since I have started I have had very few failures. The only failures have been self inflicted.