1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sod Pipe?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by gdsmith17, Oct 1, 2011.

1. gdsmith17

gdsmith17 Junior Member

Hi everyone, new to the industry here and hopefully someone can help me out. I am going to be plowing a small condo complex this winter. The owners asked me to use a sod pipe for the first couple months so the lawns do not get damaged.
    Has anyone ever heard of one of these, and is it something you can buy or is it something I should make.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

You can make one easily enough. Just take a piece of 2" black iron pipe the length of your blade, and cut a slot through it. The design an easy way to attach it to your blade. A little warning for you, you will not get the lot as clean, because you are covering your cutting edge so it will take more salt to clean it down to bare pavement.

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

pipe

it is a piece of scedule 80 pipi with a slot big enough fot the cutting edge to fit in cut in it with a plasma torch or if your good enough a oxy acty torch but the plasma is faster .then weld mount plates to the end and bolt to the blade .it will save a fair amount of the grass and limit how much gravel it pushes into the grass buy riding over it .

4. gdsmith17

gdsmith17 Junior Member

Thanks Rc. That is what I was thinking. Any ideas on how to attach it?

5. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Subscribed

6. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

wow, I had never even heard of this, thats a neat thing, do you make them to come off easily or do you leave it on for everything?

7. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I know there's some pics on here somewhere, I'm looking to do the same, probably only used on gravel, so you don't dig into it I haven't figured out how to attach the pipe, maybe something with a pin and cotter to remove it easily

8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

9. NickT

NickT Senior Member

10. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I had a job a few years ago that required one, and I just drilled through the cutting edge, and put a pin on each end. Simple and easy. It took about a minute to install it, and another minute to remove it. I just threw it in the bed of the truck for my other jobs.

11. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I put mine on like RC does but a friend of mine uses the plow shoe holes welds 2 pins on the pipe then he can adjust it up or down or just take it off.

12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

13. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I could not tell if they had tabs welded on the back side but I have found if you don't have the tab that the pipe will chatter and break the front tab off.

14. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Why are you plowing the lawns?

15. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I agree. They will send you just the pipe and let you weld whatever tab or bracket yourself as well.

16. jkski

jkski Member

Could you utilize a piece of schedule 40 PVC or would the weight of the plow crush it?

17. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

PVC and heavy snowplow and cold do not go together well..