1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

soaking E-60 pump

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by archer39, Dec 24, 2008.

1. archer39

archer39 Member
    from PA

I am in the process of rebuilding my e-60 pump and the previous owner did not take care of it at all. So, it has a crap load of dirt/sludge in it.

i have all the valves, seals, o-rings, and plugs out would there be any harm to soaking the whole unit in an automotive parts cleaner (parts sink with flowing solvent). i don't know what type of solvent is going to be used because it is my grandfathers and never used it before. It is used for car parts so i cant see it being anything that would harm aluminum.

2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

i did it 2 mine didnt hurt a thing just make sure you have a the o rings out

3. archer39

archer39 Member
    from PA

ok thanks, i got a master seal kit so they all will be getting replaced anyway.

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i do it all the time.

5. huss691981

huss691981 Member

outside of the rubber, the castings and the steel will not be harmed by solvents. Just make sure of 2 things. 1, all the solvent is out before you replace the o-rings, and 2 make sure any dirt in the solvent is cleaned out of the parts before putting it togher. I use run of the mill brake cleaner, but it eats paint so if you want to save the paint, might not want to use it. Mike