1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So you can see what we are going through

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ECS, Feb 9, 2008.

1. ECS

ECS Senior Member

I took some shots of some properties today while I was out dealing with the drifts again today, and it didn't even snow last night. First drive I got to had 2 feet of drifts in it, second had 2 feet of drifts in it, third drive was a breeze only had about 15" in it, 4th was even easier, just drifted at the entry and in front of garage, 5th, total nightmare, nearly blown in with 4 feet of crap. Temps went up to 30 overnight & early morning, and hit the drift and nearly went through the windshield. As you will see in some of these pictures, these resi drives are not just little one car deep, 2 wide, they are decent size drives. In this first picture, you will see the snow stake on the right of the drive which is a 4 foot stake. It was like hitting a cement wall.

680 1.jpg

2. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Here is another shot. This drive goes straight back from where the car is to the gray barn is in the back. A solid 3 feet of drift from the road to the barn.

Spring Gulch 1.jpg

3. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Here is the same drive this afternoon after a loader cleared it.

Spring Gulch 2.jpg

4. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

Wow- that is a butt load of snow! At least your getting some snow-

5. ECS

ECS Senior Member

This one is another fine example of what the drives look like out here with the drifting. As you can see, there is as much snow piled up from a driveway as some pile up from a parking lot.

Trap Club 1.jpg

6. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Same driveway, different view.

Trap Club 4.jpg

7. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Another one of the same property.

Trap Club 3.jpg

8. Up North

Up North Senior Member

ECS, so how do the horses and livestock handle it when that much snow is out there. I mean we get quite a bit of snow here, couple feet on the ground at one time, maybe a little deeper and the livestock seem to still get around okay. But dang, out there you could have 4-5 feet at any given time.

I must say, some beautiful views of the mountains.

Buck

9. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the pics ECS. :drinkup:

10. Bozeman

Bozeman Junior Member

There's not that much snow on the flat ground. You can still see the sagebrush poking through the snow. The problem is that we are getting 40+ mph winds all day and night. That driveway acts as trough and catches all the blowing snow, filling it in from one side to the other. I know exactly what he's dealing with because we are too. Most livestock are feed in the winter so they don't rely on digging in the snow. The elk,deer, moose they all have to work for it though.

11. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

ESC, once again i would like to say that you are blessed to live in nice looking country like that...you say it's expensive to live there?

12. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Yeah the same thing happens here, I've plowed my share of "troughs", and will plowing them out tomorrow as today, tonight, and tomorrow we're having the 30-40mph winds. I just thought you all will have snowfalls each day that eventually add up to 4-5ft even on the flat land at times. Maybe that's further out west in the Sierras.

Buck

13. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Hi Buck. How you been?
    A week ago our sagebrush was under snow, now it is showing pretty good on the flats. The piles in the drive a week ago were about 8 feet high, now they are about 6 feet high because of the winds which is blowing it all to you guys east of us. LOL. It is like Bozeman described it as you are well aware of also. I watched a moose down by the river feeding on willows the other day, she was pushing snow with her chest and their legs are much longer than the legs of a horse. Deer have been staing in the resi properties and just bedding down and eating whateve is available. Now that the sage is blown off they may head for that. Cattle and horses are usally fed every morning and every night by big tractors keeping a pathe open for the tractor and hay wagon.

14. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Just a little expensive. The medium price for a house is now at $1.5 million. Rents, if you can even find a place to rent are very high. You can get a small 1 BR, 1 bath for $1200 - $1500 a month. You can roomate in a BR and share a bathroom for $600 - $800 a month.

15. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

It sounds like NJ but with a good view.

16. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 Senior Member

Great Post! We all have different situations, all have some good and some bad, each area is beautiful in it's own way. What a blessed country we live in. I've never been in that area. Thanks for the pics and the education. Everybody enjoy life.

17. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Yes RONK, it is poverty with a view. :D

18. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

All I could do was laugh. That is amazing :dizzy:! I will have to agree with you though, it does look like poverty with a view :p

19. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Here is another picture I took yesterday. This was on my way to do my last driveway, which took me 3 days to get to because of the conditions. If the sun comes out, I will get some nice pics for you with the mountains. I will look and see if I have any old ones around to post.

Solitud 1.jpg