1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So who uses a steering wheel ball?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snow2Go, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Snow2Go

Snow2Go Senior Member
    from Chi

I finally put one on even though its illegal here but man is it ten times easier to plow now!

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I thought about it but didn't.

3. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

Good thought, might end up putting one on myself.

4. Snow2Go

Snow2Go Senior Member
    from Chi

Problem is I have 35s on my truck so its not a easy task to turn. I literally made my palm raw from turning the one night and was like Screw this! So I went to autozone and bought a 8ball! I put it on the bottom corner so the cops cant see it and its out of my way if I hit something. Its like night and day!

5. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

love them!!!

6. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Me too, once you get used to it you will never, want to go back.:drinkup:

7. gprx2

gprx2 Junior Member

Hmmm ... sounds like something that I might have to try

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Thought about it but never did it. We had one but I put it on our mower, we have another on our antique tractor. Might have to go buy another.

9. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Had one on the boat but never thought about the trucks- until now. Hmmmm...

10. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

I always thought that was a stupid law. Why would they be illegal?

11. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The police look for them around here. No one cares if your driving a loader with a 14 ft box on it down the street, but get caught with one of these balls on your steering wheel, and you'll end up carrying your balls around in your pocket, just so you can say you have some.

12. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

We used to run them on tractors when I worked on the farm. Be careful if you wear a hoodie, the strings like to get caught up and wrapped around them. I'm sure they would be illegal b/c of stuff like that happening.

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I could also see someone put one on but not tighten it enough so it's loose or comes off while making a corner.

And I've done the hoodie thing on our mower, took me a minute to realize why I couldn't pick my head up after looking down going around stuff.

14. prizeprop

prizeprop Senior Member

Their called suicide nobs also,Think it has to do with catching your sleeve during a counter steer and losing control of the vehicle. Had one on my first car with manual steering, helped out so I wouldnt spill my beer while steering the vehicle.

15. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

haha this made my day:salute:

16. Jon Schuler

Jon Schuler Member

nice knob haha

Had one on the dumper before I sold it....All I can say is awesome. Pretty dangerous if you get into an accident though. Hitting the steering wheel is bad enough, but that little hard knob sticking out like that will turn a blunt injury to the chest, into a lethal injury.

17. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

do you have any pics of it mounted? I've thought about doing this on my truck, just for plow season

18. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

They're illegal because your not using both hands when driving. Has nothing to do with getting a string or a shirt sleeve caught on it.

19. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Had one on my 85' F250, Manual. Used to plow for myself then sub til I couldn't see straight, made a huge difference. Meyer 2 stick controller on the left, clutch, shifter on the right, snow flying everywhere, can't believe I never knocked myself out driving that thing.

20. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

But wouldn't that mean that anybody palming the wheel, like all of us do, is also breaking the law and subject to a traffic stop and ticket?