1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So who broke what in this NE mess?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by SteveJ, Feb 13, 2008.

1. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

We made out pretty good.payup Well with two 08's and one 90, can't complain. About the only thing I broke was my back! :eek: That stuff was some HEAVY shoveling. wesport
  2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

knock on wood i think i have broken everything already. now its just shovels they dont like this stuff
  3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I'm glad you asked! Last storm I broke the auger transmission in my SnowEx 1875. Didn't know it, thought it was just frozen. Still had it on today and backed into something, flattened the little flimsy guard then bent the shaft the spinner rides on. Learned that you can't buy just the shaft, you are expected to replace the whole spinner transmission for $300. Plus $329 for the auger transmission, $20 shipping and my wallet will be $650 lighter. I don't think so. I think I will not be sanding anymore this year, and continue passing sanding jobs along to my backup guy.
    Tomorrow I'm going to disassemble both transmissions and see what's broken. Maybe I can get a replacement part made at the machine shop. Unless someone knows where Trynex buys their transmissions.
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I broke the big GOOSE egg:)
  5. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

haha. I don't plow, I just lurk the pages, but i saw one of the plows on campus break something. It was an early 90's GMC 3500 dually dump with a fisher straight blade and a fisher sander. He got a good runnign start, widrowed the 5" of slush in front of him, and stacked a pile... hard.

When the snow stopped the truck, the rear end slid to one side a litte (the blade was angled). He started backing out and the blade was scraping the ground. He stopped and he was revving the engine and the blade just sat there.

There was another truck on the other side of my dorm that came around to clean up his mess.

Before he broke, the dump was fun to watch. He would roost the snow/sluch/water across the ~50x~60 lot.

The f150 that came over wasn't anything special. No ballast or sander, and it sat real low in front. He took it slow, sectioned the lot off, and did it slower.
  6. Greybeard

Greybeard Member
    from MA

My buddy popped a piston on his new Fisher. Blue juice everywhere. I saw another of the local landscaper's new F350 dumps go by on a wrecker, condition unknown. I didn't break anything, but coulda. The slush was flying over the roof when I pushed it against the old piles. Three changes of clothes, and I was in the truck 99% of the time.
  7. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

just broke my back and a record for "most annoying snowstorm". Got to love shoveling walkways in pouring rain for 8 hrs. Didn't suffer any equipment problems other than forgetting to hook up the control wire for my pull plow.
  8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I broke my back and two shovels. Nothing on the plow or tractor luckily. I cringed everytime I went into a pile. That was a storm where you could break a lot of stuff.
  9. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

Broke the auger housing on my tailgate spreader. Some epoxy, a few brackets, and some hose clamps got it fixed for now. May be looking for a new one for next season. Other than that, so far so good.
  10. chevykid

chevykid Member

broke my hand plow got stuck in angled postition got out pushed it loose and slipped banged my hand on the truck stupid ice haha pretty funny tho
  11. chevykid

chevykid Member

had two toro blowers me and my cuzin were running had no problem at all besides being drenched and cold
  12. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

That was some nasty.

As far as I know nothing broke, but I could tell I was stressing my drivetrain trying to push that wet cement up hill. I plowed about an hour or two after the snow turned over to rain, had a hell of a time pushing that crap uphill. Had to take a running start, got a few feet at a time, finally raised the blade, blasted my way up, turned around, and plowed down. Nice when gravity's your friend.

Could be worse--just think if it had rained then turned suddenly cold and that stuff and frozen hard--then we'd really be in for it.
  13. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

No because of the storm but my rear brakes are back to being locked up :( in the shop today for that problem...it just never ends for me, i live from truck problem to truck problem!

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Nothing on the plow or truck here (I'll take a closer look today)
    Was helping a nice lady client of mine who was trying to mover her car so I could plow...gave her a push (on foot) and slipped and banged my knee on the ground...damned thing is still sore...

Had a few full trips and releases because of the heavy slush and the blade digging in...didn't like the sound of a couple of them....:eek:
  15. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

Lost one wiper blade in the frozen pine trees that were hanging in the road and slid the tractor into the side of my bed when I was loading salt!!!

What a ficken' mess. I wish it would have stayed as snow.

Now my sult supplier is giving me the same sob story. We don't have much left and the rest is reserved for PENNDOT.
    Does anyone know of a bulk suppier near the Poconos?? Besides Locust Ridge Quarry.
  16. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

Let me guess... your rears have that little gremlin that over adjusts the brakes? If it is, I had the same problem with my 97 and took the self adjuster out of it. I just adjusted them myself once in a while. At least the 08's have rear discs. :D
  17. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Wasn't just in the adjusters, there was apparently a lot of worn out and messed up parts back there. It's all fixed now :) FINALLY!!!!! Now lets wait and see what the next thing will be!!

18. 03SuperCrew330

03SuperCrew330 Member

Only thing I "broke" was a brake light bulb that didn't want to live anymore. I have had no problems this year with my F150 but the Curtis 7.5 plow wont stay up for more that 5 minutes! Fingers crossed as we speak!

Just so you know I am a mechanic and the truck has plenty of PM done so that always help...plus I don't beat my equipment up!
  19. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

A couple shovels, an angle hose, and a wiper blade (this is all winter)
  20. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

my buddy blew the ring gear in his 99 GMC 1500 an in his 03 GMC 2500hd duramax he put a big ass dent in the bed.

but i didnt break anything.

my new beater is indestructable. :D