1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So which is really better?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnkid, Feb 13, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

When I get a truck next year, I want to know if I should get a steel or poly plows. I plan on doing small to semi-big accounts.
    I like the Western and Meyer brands. I did a search on this and you guys said that the steel plows are easier to fix, but not as well built, easily dented, and it becomes rusty. I think you guys also said that eventualy yhe poly plow begins to bend a little bit.
    gimme your thoughts on this.

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

poly plows are ok for the home owner doing his driveway. get a real plow like a western or a boss plow you wont be sorry. you can fix a steel plow for almost nothing. good luck.
  3. jackfrost

jackfrost Junior Member

I agree with ADLAWN get the steel,the only benifit I see with poly is you dont have to paint it year after year.If you read other posts on here some guys said they punched holes through the board and when it happens with poly the whole board has to be replaced.Ill stick with a BOSS steel v.You didnt say what type of plow your buying straight vs. v? I would go with the v there worth the extra money.
  4. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

A poly plow also weighs about 200 lbs more then a steel convential plow.
  5. flmusj

flmusj Junior Member

Boss poly plow is only listed at 30lbs more. I love my poly 8'2. When the plow is in the scoop position and stacking heavy wet snow it doesn't stick to the blade. Which pulls on the trip springs and slams back when the snow lets loose. I can see the advantages of the steel plows for repair. My poly is 2 years old no holes yet. I did punch a hole in a boss 8'2" steel plow. We welded and painted it for very little cost. If it were the poly it would have cost me one poly wing.
  6. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

I would most likely go for the v plow. I plan on getting a 3/4 to 1 ton truck between a 91-95 with at least a plow prep package on it. Then I could either put a Boss or Western 7 1/2' or 8' plow on. Because in my neighborhood there are several narrow drives, I would probably go for a 7 1/2' plow so it can fit at least on an angle. How much does it cost to put a rubber snow deflector on the top of the plow? How long does it usually take to put a Boss V or Western V on a truck? Thanks for the replies, keepum commin.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No experience with a poly, but it sounds the same as the Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate. And that's been argued for many years without a clear winner.
  8. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

So how about it Mick... what's that sander and plow of your bolted up to? Chevy? Ford? Ram? lol. Just teasing. I know you're driving a Toyota.
  9. Mick

from Maine

ROFLMAO!!! Good one, Lawn Lad.
  10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have a plow and sander on my Toyota. Smaller of course but still does the job as well as my Fords.
  11. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Oooops, looks like no matter what brand you mention you're going to offend. How about Daewoo... anyone running a Daewoo? Thought so.

Ford/Chevy/Dodge/Daewoo? Hmmmm.
  12. Mick

from Maine

I'll bet there is somebody, somewhere trying to put a plow on a Daewoo at this moment. :eek:
  13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Naw, he's still trying to outfit that Jeep Grand Cherokee!!;)
  14. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Does anyone here own a Sno-way V plow. I think that plow would be good cause its got Down-pressure system. How much does a new steel V plow cost? Wondering if I could maybe get one used. i'd asume that they're pretty expensive. I was also looking at the Western Ultra-mount and Pro plow. The ultar-mount looks really neat and easy to do.
  15. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I considered a Snow way V,but it weighs as much as a Boss V,no savings there,it mounts up harder,and the plow isnt really a V-its more like a 2 ft straight blade with 3 ft wings.Maybe its just me,but it looks like the snow wouldn't roll across the blade very good,in the ful angle position.