1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

so whats the best half-ton truck snowplow nowadays?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by clp94, Feb 10, 2013.

1. clp94

clp94 Member
    from S.E MA

greetings all, long time no talk but here i am again. earlier today i threw an ad on craigslist to snowblow driveways, walkways patios etc after i finished cleaning up my own drive, and at the end of the day after doing driveways and handing out my phone number to countless people for jobs but couldnt get to because the snowblowers are too slow, i realized how much more money i could have made in less time if i had a plow on my truck. i used to have my f350 with the plow but never got to experience a real profiting payday with it because of the lack of snow we had during the duration of me owning the truck. now that i had the chance to make a lot of money in such a short amount of time i realized that i need a plow on my truck for the amount of people that are going to be calling me next snowfly. so begs the question, whats the best snowplow for a half ton truck these days? truck is a 2005 dodge ram 1500 4 door 4wd 20" wheels slt. i will be using timbrens regardless of the plow weight/size,i really dont want this thing looking all cambered out and low under the weight of the plow so timbrens and ballast are a guarantee. i know reliability and availability are a big thing when selecting a snowplow so ill just list the brands that are around me. i have a snowdogg/curtis dealer about a mile up the road, about the same distance is a meyer's dealer and that dealer also does snowdogg as well. and about a half hour away is a fisher dealer. im sure there is a boss dealer around here somewhere too but i know for sure those others are local. are any of those brands decent? seem to see alot of snowdoggs. not so much curtis in recent years and still a **** ton of fishers. all input appreciated as always. great to here from you all, id love to hear about your storm experiences too. get any cool pics? post em up.

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Like every other thread asking this same question....

Dealer support is key, parts availability etc...
    You'll get what you pay for. There's a reason Fisher, Boss, Western command the the dollars they do.
    Don't overload your trucks capacity. If you do you're going go have issues.

Be ready to buy a lot of front end parts for that truck, BTW.

3. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Remember that what you are doing is essentially putting a big thing on the front of your truck for RAMMING stuff with. What you want is SIMPLE. The fewer complex parts, the fewer things there are to break.

4. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

Lik mentioned already, dealer support, dealer support, dealer support. If you have a great plow bu a dealer than can't/won't get parts for you or answer questions when needed....the plow will be useless. I am a Boss fan and would say look into their smaller line of plows. I see some guys running around with 7'6 Super Duty plows on their trucks but I would suggest looking into the Sport Duty line of plows for your truck. Still very well built, just a bit lighter and won't stress your front suspension quite as much.

5. clp94

clp94 Member
    from S.E MA

i would certainly stay away from an hd level/commercial grade plow. i like the fisher sd cause of the chain lift, but its a heavy plow. i may check into the boss and see who i have around me for dealers.

6. jasonv

from kannada

I disagree. Dealer support is only good if you like spending money. If you can't handle it on your own, you probably should find a different business to be in.

7. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Fisher is a decent plow but I believe it is a little overkill on a half ton truck, as Fisher is a heavier duty commercial grade for Western. The snow dogg is also a good plow and growing in popularity. Cant really comment on the Boss plows as I really havent looked at them closely. I like Meyers, been using one for years, but I would definataly concider a dogg.
    Since you have two dealers in your neihborhood that both sell the snow dogg, that would be a plus for parts, if one doesn't have it the other should. As far as service I'm sure both dealers will tell you they have great service, so if there are guys running around with these plows, try to talk to a couple of them and see what kind of service they are getting from the dealers.
    What ever choice you make, good luck.

8. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Jason Thats not necesarily true. I have two dealers near me that sell meyers, one also sells western, but either one of them if you call them they will help you and tell you what to check if your having a problem. They do this so that if you do need parts or service they hope you will come there for your parts, and I've compared thier pricing and they are competitive. I know it's hard to believe but there are still people out there who are not looking to rip you off.

9. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

I'd go with boss if it were me.

as for parts for the front end. this will be the 3rd winter I've plowed with my 07 dodge ram 1500 quad cab and I haven't had a single repair. oh I should mention I'm plowing with a boss 8' super duty blade. 250 lbs heavier than they recommend. the only thing done was I added a lift kit to raise the front up a bit when the plow is on.

truck couldn't be in better shape according to my mechanic last month. I'll probably get another 4-5 years out of her he says.

they key is to treat the truck right. I only have the plow on when I'm gonna be using it. I do my regular maintenance as I should as well.

10. jasonv

from kannada

If you need a flunky telling you what to do over the phone, then you should be looking to get out of plowing. Plows are simple and very easy to fix.

11. Snown13

Snown13 Junior Member

I started out with 1500 chevy with a 7'6" Snoway 26 poly w/down pressure. It is a great little plow for light work and never had any issues with it. In fact in the 3 years I ran it not only did I have no mechanical problems but I hit a deer at 50 mph and it did nothing. They are built well. I now have a Boss and would recommend it to anyone. Keep an eye on the tranny when plowing with a half ton. I only got 3 years out of a brand new tranny in an 05 silverado and I can tell you for certain I had everything maintained properly as well as not beating on the truck. Good luck!

12. BladeBlowBucket

BladeBlowBucket Member

When I started out commercial plowing 30+ yrs ago, it was with a full sized big block 4sp Bronco and a 7'-6 Meyers plow which got mod'd out to 8' in a hurry …. now unless Meyer has changed a few things, I had alot of issues with how weak the hingeing points tearing out of the frame and blade (both sides) and every year the elec pump motor fried (prestolite) …. the next blade i had used and still have in the bone yard, was an Arctic 8' …. it held up really, really well …. 6yrs on a light duty 3/4 ton F-250 4x4 virtually no repairs …. then I started using it on an #8,000 Skid-steer but only the blade and A-frame c/w the hyd cylinders, 9yrs on there, did a few repairs at the swivel point (the nose of the A-frame) until the frame grenaded, it was subjected to alot of lift piling piles and even more Ramming ! …. I thought it stood up great being it was designed for p/u use only.

I now use an 8611 Blizzard, and am very impressed with the blades design not so much the widening ability, but the wear points as in the hingeing and sub frame design … when I was at the dealer I seen that their 1/2 & 3/4 ton blades were built very similar ……. So Far So Good !

Just a little insight to 2 brands that have not been mentioned yet …. :drinkup:

13. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

-- Yardguy/Jason --I'm running a BOSS Standard Duty 7"6" on my 96 Dodge Ram 1500, which is a bit lighter than yours I believe, 3rd season now and it has worked great - no front end issues yet and am scared to actually type/say that - have to knock on wood now! Wonder about the difference in the older Dodges verses the newer - not sure if that has anything to do with it holding up better or not(?). Been reading for a few years on the arguments on the size of trucks and my next will def be larger, but this one just keeps going so gonna run it til its done!

14. jasonv

from kannada

I agree, Arctic plows are built for a beating. Not cheap, mind you. I have a 7 foot Arctic on my Tacoma.

15. jasonv

from kannada

Not sure if Yardguy is also a "Jason", or if you're referring to me. If you're referring to me, that Boss 7'6" SD weighs just under 600 pounds, which is more than 100 pounds heavier than my Arctic Poly SD 7'. An Arctic Steel SD 7'6" weighs a few pounds more than yours. For reference, most of the weight difference is the steel vs poly thing as the Steel SD 7' weighs more than 100 pounds more than the Poly SD 7'.

Edit: Hmm, that's weird. The BOSS poly weighs MORE than their steel.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  16. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

yeah I thought it was weird ther polys weigh more than there steels as well.

I've been on the hunt for a 7'6" power v (standard duty) v blade. it's only 2 lbs heavier than the super duty straigh 8' I'm running now.

I looked into snowdoggs v blade for half tons but I'm already wired for a boss and I really like boss so I'm gonna try and stick with them.

I don't know the differences between a 96 dodge and an 07 dodge strength wise. I just know my truck doesn't have a problem with the 8' super duty blade I have on it now.

17. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Hey jason, guys don't look for dealer support because they don't know how to fix their plow. We need it so we can get parts during the middle of a storm.

18. jasonv

from kannada

Know your plow and you know what parts to have on hand. Most should be generic hydraulic parts, springs that are the same for all brands, bolts, pins. For everything else, you probably should own a welder.

FWIW: There's really only one plow dealership in or around this area, they sell most brands and parts for brands they don't even sell, but they don't stock squat. Then there's princess auto, they don't sell anything for any specific brand of plow, but they have every kind of generic part you can imagine and everything you could possibly need to make/repair anything specific.

19. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

-Sorry Jason - wrong reference...but yes - I actually happen to notice that yesterday - must be a few more supports, but that hit me strange too...

20. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

This is just my opinion, but I don't believe that "half ton" and "plow truck" belong in the same sentence.... They aren't made to handle that kind of abuse.