1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So whats going on with my anti-lock brakes

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cl733, Nov 28, 2014.

1. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

So I finally started plowing with my new to me 09 2500 6.7 auto, I have an 810 blade on it and I am noticing that when im pressing on the brakes it feels like the anti locks are pulsing, thought it might have been a hub assembly or u joint , but after checking all u joints ,conditions of oils, brakes and rotors, everything looks perfect, its not affecting my braking performance at all , I thought it to be a vibration at first but im sure its the anti locks, with the blade on , if I hit a bump in the road , or a bridge approach it does the same thing without me touching the brakes at all, I checked my ball joints, and found there to be a little up and down movement on the knuckle but the knuckle shows no sign of a whobbley wheel by either the hub assembly or ball joints at all, the problem is non existant when I take the plow off, it works as normal, road conditions don't matter at all wet roads , snow covered , with the blade on it does it , when off it doesn't, is it possible with the blade on with the extra weight it can create some kind of extra clearance on a wheel sensor to make this happen, its got me baffled , anyone got any kind of input on this id sure be interested on hearing it,

2. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

I disconnected my anti-lock brakes after the controller decided to stop working properly. I will never get anti-lock brakes ever again. If you know how to threshold brake, your braking distance will be less than what the anti-lock can offer anyway so I decided to brake like I learned to do back in the day when I autocrossed and thus far, much more satisfied with my braking.

3. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

so I figured it out , I think, I thought it was the anti locks , because I checked out everything else and came up with nothing, everything was like new,i had taken out the abs pump fuse yesterday and taken it for a test ride and it still was doing the exact same thing, but today I installed a new set of ttc-1216v coils in the front of the truck , upon completion it hooked up the blade and took it out for a test ride , and it didn't do it any more , so I think what was happening was that with the blade lifted it was squatting the front so bad that it was bottoming out the drive shaft spline and transmitting the driveshaft vibrations, the new coils lifted it up a fair amount , although it still squats , it seems enough to keep from bottoming, atleast on the 15 minute drive I took it never made the vibration that it has been doing consistently every time ive plowed lately

4. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I guess you'll never buy a new vehicle again.

5. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

Of course I will but if I can get it without the antilock brakes then it don't be built with them. If it automatically comes with them then they will be disconnected from the very get go.

6. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Absolutely ridiculous . If you ever auto crossed with modern anti locks you wold know better. You can't beat the computer.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Anti lock brakes come on every auto sold in the U.S. as standard equipment since the 90s I believe.
    And you stating you can brake better than abs, I'd love to see that.
    Fyi a friend and I did that with our 08 road kings, my abs stoped shorter then his did in a rear tire lock up denomination.

8. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I believe that anti-lock is now guberment mandated on our size trucks, just like airbags and TPS crap, so the chances of getting a new truck without is 0%. But I suppose you could disconnect like you said. I wonder what the liability would be for doing that and then getting in a wreck? I would hate to see a fatality accident turn into manslaughter because the insurance company found out you did that. Might be something you want to run by your agent in a casual "hypothetical" scenario. Just a thought. :nono:

9. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You need to take your truck to shop because it makes zero sense.

10. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

How could it make zero sense, the lifting of the truck makes for no noise upon brake applications or bump hitting now, we are supposed to get snow here in the next few days so ill be blading up and find out for sure,im praying that that was it because there is nothing else that seems remotely responsible for whats going on.