1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So What Made You Switch Plow Brands

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Flake Chaser, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

My 04 F350 is next inline for a plow. Got a price on the Fisher SS X Blade but having been thinking about a Western Pro. I have had Westerns before and only went to Fisher cause last truck I bought came with it. Gonna call today for a price on a Western

2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I keep Fishers because they work. Built tough, and seldom fail.

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

All plows have there +/- factor depending on who you talk to.
    I like BOSS because of the reliability and availability of parts in my area. A lot of guys around here run Westerns because there is a large Western dealer down the road who is awesome for service and parts with Western.
    Go with whomever has the best dealer support for your area. You don't want to wait for days on a part or have to drive 50 miles one way to pick it up.
    I have run Meyer , Western and BOSS and for me BOSS works the best for what I do and need.

4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I switched from Fisher to Boss before it was the cool thing to do. What made me switch was the (I'll be frank about it here) horrible build quality and horrible mounting design I experienced with the MM1 system.

No more jumping up and down on the bumper, or climbing onto the triangle to attempt to push it down to slack the chain. No more hauling a floor jack out in the snow to adjust the height. No walking around to the front of the unit and pushing the tower up towards the truck on a snow/ice covered surface. No more painfully slow hydraulics, or sticking cartridges. Even the structural design is better, how the frame mounts to the moldboard. Most of us have all seen a fisher MM1 with the frame starting to push through the moldboard, but I've personally never seen a Boss with that, and its simply due to a more well thought out design.

Now I know you will all jump on me and say I'm wrong and Fisher is the best (trust me, I know, I'm from New England and all we have is Fisher), but at the time what Fisher was offering was far inferior. I do realize they have come a long way since then, but so has Boss and I have no reason to change back.

But in reality, we all know that any of the major brand plows (maybe besides Meyer, because I see nothing attractive about their offerings at all) will serve us well. Its similar to when we have Ford VS Chevy arguments, or for the boat guys yamaha vs. suzuki outboard arguments. They'll all do the job.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  5. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

I have been running the western pro plus on my f-350 for the last 3 years. Loved it, never any issues. and before that a older 7 1/2 western plow.

This year I bought the new MVP 3, and Wow, I can't wait for the snow to fly to try her out.

Check it out before you buy the pro plus.

6. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

What year was it "Cool" to switch from Fisher to Boss.....I don't but plows on the "Cool" factor....Btw..The Meyer "V" is a stout plow..Meyer has come a long way in the "Cool" factor...I guess I will run out and buy one....:laughing:

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have had a few Fishers and really like them. But, I when I go to buy my next plow I'm going to look hard at The Boss. The Boss dealer in my area has great dealer support and I have talked to a few Boss owners and they all love their Boss plows.

8. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I can say the exact same thing except for the corrections above....

Love the idea of the Boss DXT sitting on the front of my 92. If the winter goes well, I might just treat myself to one in the summer..... you know, when it's 90*F out and I'm sweating bullets installing the truckside....:laughing:

9. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

i started with a fisher as my first plow, and then bought a new truck that had a boss on it. i used a 2003 boss powerv 8'2" in 2010 and had problems with the wing separating from the center pin. it was a poly plow so it was a pain to fix. the plow was also slightly bent. i used that plow for one winter and sold it and got a 2005 steel power v 9'2", and once again, i got the problems of the plow wings separating and lifting up. i had it professionally fixed how boss recomended, but there was still no way to fix how the plow was out of wack and slightly bent, well bent enough that it would only scrape well on one of the wings... i had that plow last winter and the winter before. last year i did put a 9.5 fisher xv on my second truck. i sold my truck with the boss mount and got a newer f350 that has fisher plates on it so i just bought an xls..

long story short, i did have quite a few major problems with the boss, but they were all the same problem (which is a common one). dont get me wrong, i know any brand can have problems, but after using the xv last year, i liked it much better than my power v. I will say other than the wings and pin connection issue, the boss plows were very reliable, i wouldnt mind buying another

i know its a very debated topic, but after using a full trip and a trip edge plow, i much prefer the trip edge. when it has to trip it is wayyy less severe. and i use scoop mode most of the time, and the boss wont trip in the position unless it drags one of the wings back til it is straight and then trips. the trip edge has absolutely no problem tripping in scoop mode

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  10. doh

doh Senior Member

I bought a 1985 Chevy in 1990 that had a well used Artic on it. Under hood pump. The plow was shook but the pump worked great. Lots of pessure to push you out when you get stuck in a bank.

When I bought it I woundered "What am I ever going to do with a plow?"

1993 I purchaced a New GMC, with a 7 1/2 Western Pro Uni Mount. Switched that to my 1995 GMC.

The Uni Mount Pro was shook by 1998, so I purchased a New Western Standard Poly on my 1998 GMC. Used that until 2005 on 2 trucks. The plow was shook again. Swapped the plow for a 8' Western Pro Uni Mount. It hasn't broke yet.

We had a F150 traded last year with a baseically New Boss Super Duty 7 1/2. So far so good with the Boss. And I preached the Western for many years.

Likes The lack of a Chain Lift, The ease of hook up.

Dislikes, Missing the 1/2' of width. (Not that it is any faster, but it puts the bank further way from the truck). And some installtion issues, that are under the Boss's shrod to get to the pump.

11. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I think it is something that is more regionalized to my area. Years ago, (6+) you would never see a single boss on the road around here. I had to drive an hour to get parts, or order them online, whereas Fisher parts can be had almost anywhere.. I remember my second year owning a Boss, I drove by another guy running one for the first time.

These days, I see close to as many Boss as I do Fisher, and all the owners have the same rant that I do about how great they are and why.

That is why I said "before it was cool to do so".

Also, anytime I have visited areas in the mid-west, I notice Boss and Western all over the place compared to here.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  12. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

Personally I don't care too much over the brand of my plows. I'm more concerned with parts and service and availability. I wouldn't care if there is a Boss dealer every other store down mainstreet, if they are all closed and don't have a late night number for me to call, each store is useless.

Plows are like tractors and trucks, you swear by them when they work and everything is going fine, but as soon as they break and you are working on it, you swear at it!

13. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Yeah.... just like wives....

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You have more then 1?

1 is more then enough, and most days to many. :nod:

15. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Nah ! I'm not a sadomasochist .... One wife was (is) enough, although a few girlfriends here and there would be nice....:angel:

That is as long as they didn't have the ability to speak.....:dizzy:

16. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

Fisher dealer just around the corner but have been eyeing the Western Prodigy. Western dealer about 1/2 from me. I like the mechanical scoop/wings of it. It's getting time to you know what or get off the pot. Going to Western dealer tomorrow.

17. Blizzard1980

Blizzard1980 Senior Member

Only thing what beats Saturday Night Live is " Friday Night on Plowsite"

18. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

DEALER SUPPORT!!!!! Had a Hiniker but the dealer support was worthless as tits on a chicken. Went to western because the place that I do a ton of ag business with deals them as well as chevy trucks which is a win win! As it has been said on here before the greatest piece of equipment is only as good as the service that comes with it.

19. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Chose dealer not brand.

For the most part they are all good until something breaks or needs service, how will they help you then? Ask this question before you make a purchase, it was mentioned earlier in this forum do they have a after hours number to get parts how will they keep you running when they snow is coming as fast a you can push it. I have invested in a brand and thus far dealer support has been m.i.a, in this business you must be resource full and independent to be successful but you can only carry that so far, that is where dealer support kicks in they are a strategic partner in your business. Good luck.

20. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

I must say that Snow dogg's have been super impressive, especially for the cost. I've had Fisher's and Western's, these Snow dogg's perform just as good plus they re stainless. Going on four year's with zero issues. I know it's just a matter of time for any brand. Give em a serious look, you'll be impressed I think either way.