1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So what kind of tires should I buy?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Zack1978, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

Hey everyone,
    I am the proud owner of a 1979 Toyota 4x4 shortbed p/u. It has a Fisher 6.5 ft plow and it has been used to plow it's entire life (It was just given to me, so I have never plowed with it, for that matter I have never plowed!) but I know it needs new tires!. Right now it has 235/75/15 tires . I know the truck can fit 31x10.5x15 tires, but what size is the best for plowing? The truck will only be used for plowing so I can care less about road noise. What is the best tire to buy? I don't want to break the bank! Do I go AT or MT? Any ideas?

2. Kason & Riley

Kason & Riley Senior Member

Go with MT just my 2cents.
  3. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

You have the stock size now. I ran Goodrich all terrains 2 years ago ---10.5 x 31's. I can tell you straight up that on a 98 Tacoma, the 31's rub with the tires turned all the way. When you add a little snow buildup and it freezes over, you got an issue.

In general, stay with a skinny tire with good tread. The toyotas aren't heavy and you don't want to float on top of the snow. Also, if you put too tall a tire on it there will be contact in the wheel well. In addition, use all of the power you have to push the snow--not turn the tires. Is it a 6 or do you have the 22R??? If you have the 22R and you put 31's on it, you better be ready to get out and push when you get on the highway.

One last thing,,,, if the truck has a plow on it now, you better be aware of the height of the tires because the plow should be setup to push at a relatively flat angle.... going a lot taller might throw this off, although my guess is that it would be slight. You might also be able to change the angle easily if its the old style plow. Also check how much the rear raises when you raise the plow up. Putting taller tires on won't help this situation and you need to match the ballast better.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For plowing snow - the skinnier the better.
  5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

If it's only going to be used for plowing get a set of dedicated snows. I can recommend the Mastercraft Courser MSR's.
  6. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Hi Zack!

For Me, I've setted on 215/85/16 BFGs for Toys which are the skinniest tire that will fit stock on the newer trucks (235/85's would have been nice but are too tall). Your year truck fits about the same size... We all seem to agree that skinnier is better... If you want to keep the stock rims you'll have to find the 15 inch equivalent since everything is going 16 inch and now 17's :(

But as Kramer said you might be having some horsepower problems as you go too much taller and heavier with the tires... And ballast is necessary too for the little trucks....

I prefer an old fashioned snow tire tread. Dunlop Radial Rover RV's, BF Goodrich Commercial Traction TA's and Goodyear Workhorse xtra grips... I've been running BFG's only because they are easier to get at a cheap price from the local BJ's... I try to stay one size smaller so that I can run chains if really necessary.... :)
  7. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

I would like to keep the stock rims, so it will be 15's and I want to go cheap!! How expensive are the Dunlops??

ps: as I type the frame is being welded up so I can plow all winter long, ANd it has the 20R 4cyl