1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So what is the final verdict on the 6.0 Diesel?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Zack1978, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

Hey everyone,
    I have the chance to purchase a 2005 6.0 F250 Crew Cab Long Bed, with 10,000 miles. The price will be VERY good, and the truck is in perfect shape! However I am VERY VERY nervous about the 6.0. I have heard many HORROR stories about that engine. So what do the "plowsite" gods think?

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2004 6.0 liter 6 speed bought it used NO problems yet (Knock on wood).
  3. brickmason

brickmason Junior Member

I have an 04 F-250, bought new. Only thing that went wrong was the fuel pump, which was under warranty. Have heard all the same things about the 6.0 but never had any problems. Just keep up with your maintainance.
  4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I have an 04 and an 06 no problems yet.
  5. brad_diesel

brad_diesel Junior Member

I have an 04 F-250 6.0, so far the tube from the back of the exhaust manifold to the turbo popped a hole in it, and throttle controller had to be replaced, other than that the 6.0 has been good. BUT, now i have a question, i took it in to the dealer in october of 06 for front hub issues, while it was there i had them do a tranny flush and service (thinking prev. maint.) now, the tranny is shot, its burnin thru a quart of fluid every 2 weeks, and from drive to rev. it slips and slams into gear. since this tranny is very fluid sensitive (has to be the mercon sp) im bettin the dealer put the wrong fluid in, only 3 years old, 39,000 miles, could i be right? or is there some other explanation?
  6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2004 F-250 6.0L w/ 68000 miles on it.....no problems. Love mine, havent heard many problems from the 2004 model year to present. Good Luck!:)
  7. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 2003 F-250 6.0 Liter bought brand new! 2 Turbos, 3 trannys, injectors etc... all in 50,000 miles!
  8. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

Quality control for all US manufactures is at an all time low. Compensation for corporate heads is at an all time high.

Seems to be a reason US manufacturers are going bankrupt and laying hard working folk off left and right.

If we had to fight a major war again like WW2, we would not stand a chance - but the corporate heads would get rich, for all the good it would do them. They would (and even now are) make a profit from slave labor producing substandard goods on both sides!:gunsfiring:

Feudalism has made a comeback!:realmad:
  9. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

Will it be covered under warr?

10. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

Well that does not make me feel very good!!

11. MarksLand

MarksLand Junior Member

I have an '03' with 67k miles and an '06' with 5k both are problem free so far.
  12. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

My fiends 2005 6.0 just had weird problem just Saturday.:realmad: He was accelerating on the highway and all of a sudden leak in pressure happened like all the boost let go. He said he heard a whoosh sound..:dizzy: Turbo gage doesn't move and it has very low power. I will drive but the turbo seams to be not working. Could it be just a boost hose? or could be something more serious?

He bringing in to the Dealer because it 's under warranty, but it will not be looked at for a few days.
  13. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

I have an 03 and no problems what so ever, I wouldnt trade the truck for anyhting!!
    Sounds like your buddies truck might have a loose boost tube, or loose plumbing to the intercooler...Doesnt sound like anything to serious..
  14. Rampart Ranger

Common problem even in heavy duty turboed intercooled engines.

Check intercooler (charge air) tube connections.

If blown free, check rubber connection boots between tube and turbo, replace if torn, clean all oil residue and reinstall making sure ID lip of boot is engaged with groove in charge air tube.

If it was a turbo problem, you would see massive BLACK smoke - NO power. (hp oil infiltrating through turbo to intake).

Make the dealer do repairs if still warranteed, Warranty will be invalidated if they can determine that you have done work on this system. It will not likely do damage to drive to dealer, just won't run well.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  15. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

That's good news. I offered him to come up and I would look at it in my garage today and look for a tube that slipped off. It was way to cold outside for him to look at it. But he had too much work to do today. Hopefully it's that and if the coupler is torn they will have them in stock. Is it a good idea to keep a spare coupler and a clamp in the truck?

he bought it home from the dealer not wanting it sit outside all weekend and today. Tomorow we will see what they find.

16. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

double post...
  17. brad_diesel

brad_diesel Junior Member

nope, i guess the 5 yr 100,000 drive train warranty only covers the engine, go figure, i thought the tranny was part of the drive train, but what the heck do i know. im getting trans fluid tested to see if the dealer f-ed it up, if so im gonna be leaning on them. i just wanted to know if anyone else heard of this happening. i know i read of it somewhere, but its been a while.
  18. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

I think it is more of a "when you get a bad one, it is really screwed up, otherwise its a great motor." I have had 3 no problems yet though.
  19. Rampart Ranger

As long as it is under warranty, 3 yrs/36K bumper to bumper, 5 yrs 100K engine with $100 deductable, if I remember - it is best to let the dealer do the repair. Inconveinient to be sure, but probably best.
  20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Have an '04 that has had 4 injectors, 2 turbos, 1 EGR and 2 trannies.

Probably blew the intercooler tube off, known frequent problem. Use a hose clamp for a temp fix and tell the dealer to check the TSB's for the fix as well as the updated hose clamps.

Could be the planetary pins walking out or the snap ring let go. Do you have a puddle of oil under the truck at all? That oil should be going someplace.

As for the 6.0's in general, they're referred to as snowflakes, no 2 are alike. If you get a bad one, you're going to be pissed because it will cause you grief until you sell it. If you get a good one, you're going to love it. I have 2 05's, one has had a HPOP fitting go bad that shut the truck down for a week while they 'diagnosed' it and the crappy tranny snap ring, and I have had no major problems with my other '05. Although the tranny isn't feeling too good about now. The reverse seems to be slipping but not as bad as the others when they went.