1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So what is better for a big lot???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ConnorExum, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I've just been curious about what the professionals think is better for a big lot. Let's say the lot is like that of a Lowell's, Home Depot, Wal-Mart or other large retail complex. What is better a truck like an old Oshkosh with a 14ft or bigger power angle plow, a truck with a huge snow blower, smaller trucks, loaders with big pushers, or some combination of them all? I've just been curious because I've seen that a lot people used do lots with trucks like an Oshkosh now seem to have loaders. And I've never seen to many with Snowblower trucks which to me seem ideal for the operation for clean up. So I was curious why? Myself I think the Oshkosh plus a couple of smaller blower trucks say Unimogs would be killer. But that is just a guess on my part. I'd like some real information on the topic from empirical sources.

Thanks

Connor

2. procut

procut Senior Member

For large lots trucks with blowers would be of little value - way too slow; they are for more or less for roads in deep snow country. I'd have to say for the application you described loaders with push boxes would be the most usefull, then probably larger dump truck type with plows. Of course a couple pick-ups are ideal for around entrances, light poles, tigher areas, ect.

3. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Yeah but what about the snowblowers' ability to get close to objects for cleaning up ? Or the other cool feature of a snowblower it's ability to tackle large mounds of snow and put the snow into say a dump truck? I would think those would be bonus features for a successful job in a big parking lot.

Thanks for the information I was just curious why I never see them being used in this application.

4. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Because snowblowers are slow. In a perfect world, snowblowers would work. But when things need to be done, like in a hurry, push it. Plus, during the day when the lot needs cleaned, and people are coming and going... You gonna run a snowblower and blow snow all over the place?

5. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I was just curious... I've only seen one place ever that had a Sicard Snowblower truck. I was just curious why more people don't use them.

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

The reason you see people going from big trucks with big plows to loaders with pushers is because it's faster, and, they can stack much better, leaving more space in the parking lot. Most businesses don't want to pay for the blower and truck and hauling fee to have the snow removed.

7. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Really, I was just curious, still I think the Oshkoshs' are neat. So how much extra does it cost to have it removed?

8. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Loader/loaders with push boxes supported by 2speed skids with plows :}

9. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

So what's the top speed of a big Cat loader like a 250B?

10. rob_cook2001

Cat 250B? Isnt a 250b some kind of paving machine???
    Robert

11. rob_cook2001

Do you mean a 950??

12. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I don't know I'm not that up on my Cat Loaders. But lets say a big one with a 22ft pusher on it what sort of speeds can you push at?

13. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Hi Connor. From personal experience I have learned that a blower does a good job on most drive ways, but when the area gets big, you have to blow the same snow many times over and over. Every time you blow it, it becomes packed down and eventually the blower rides over it. The only time the big blowers shine is when they are cleaning a mountain pass or a road where you have to blow the snow over a very tall area and the snow is too high to plow or no place to plow it to.

14. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Well, I wasn't exactly thinking of the snow being completely removed by snow blower trucks, just once the area is say roughed into large piles then completely removed in this fashion. That way you have less snow in the parking lot and you give commercial nearly 100% of its original surface area back. It was just a thought because I've seen all of the loaders and dump trucks out at the local big shopping malls, and stuff and always seemed to me that if you streamlined the process why let the snow build up when you can easily remove it all at once.

I live in a hilly area and many of the locations are built on the hill tops or near streams and other areas where the buildings are above some of the regular ground level so it would seem if you pushed all the snow to one area and blew it off you would be in fantastic shape.

I would be curious to see it tested.

Perhaps, I'll buy my Oshkosh and snowblower truck and try out going commercial because frankly I find driving around in a big truck pushing snow to be relaxing.
    I was just curious thanks for answering my question.

15. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

cost, speed, location and whats available.

blowers have their purpose, but they are expensive and slow, but shine when it comes time to clearing roads that have 10' snow banks (aka Tug Hill region of CNY)

Loaders not only can move massive quantities of snow and quickly, but they can stack it high too. Providing more parking spaces.

Highway trucks can move the snow too but can't stack, thus the loader is more multi-purpose.

If the contract is cheap, you will tend to see a bunch of pickups running around the lot. How much the contract pays will tend to dictate the type and quantity of equipment found servicing the lot.

don't take this the wrong way but you aren't young by any chance are you?

16. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Not that young...

17. Grn Mtn

Money Money Money! If you can make more money by hauling and removing, why would you want to give that potential source of income away?

BTW, I see from your latest post your probably not a kid....

18. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I think obviously would factor in the removal costs into estimate if it required long distance removal. However, if you're doing it on site I wouldn't charge much extra. For example in the town next to mine Catskill (well 27miles away, that is pretty next to the area I live) there is a Home Depot with a huge drop off on one side that is about 100feet into the Catskill Creek. Now when I go to the Home Depot for stuff I always see these massive piles of snow. And I've always wondered why stack into piles in the parking lot if you could just use the loader to dump it into the streams. I know perhaps there are EPA regulations on the dumping of snow I'm not aware of but really how bad can it be for the stream if they let 2cycle outboard motors run in the water?

So I have a question how fast can you clear a lot with a commercial sized loader like a CAT 950? It seems it would slower than a big former road truck. I've seen some of those older road trucks plowing at 20-30mph with a good foot of snow on the ground like it is nothing. So I'm curious how that compares to a commercial loader.

19. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

You're putting too much thought into this one man. You want to buy an Oshkosh, a snowblower, and a dump truck to get snow off a lot? Are you also going to use 3 operators or are you going to play "musical vehicles" and run all three of them?

Most of these large parking lots are never filled to capacity except for around Christmas anyway and there is no way you are going to get most companies to pay for snow removal if they don't really need it.

But yes it has been done before. There are some cool videos on this site of a blower loading a dump truck. I don't remember whose videos they were though. Maybe JDDave.

20. Grn Mtn

when bidding, if you include hauling into your bid, your bid will be higher and you will not be awarded the contract. honestly the people reading your bids don't look at all the numbers, even if you end up being less expensive in the long run, it all comes down to the per push price. around here there is a company that is infamous for giving away the plowing but he more than double makes up for it with salting, but his plowing bid was $500 cheaper per push so he gets awarded the bid.

even if your hauling on-site vs off-site your costs are the same, just the time is different, if you charge less (other than the time factor) your just hurting your ability to replace/repair equipment in the future.

have you ever hit a manhole at 20-30 mph :eek: plowing a lot is usually done between 10-15 mph depending on time of day/amount of people around. I have not used (the company I work for in the winter) the cat loaders with 22' pushers but I do use the backhoes with 14' pushers. the time savings is amazing over a truck. 1 pass with the pusher instead of 2-3 with the truck on the main drag. at the end of a run you just stack the load off into the grass or corner of the lot.

The DEC does not allow you to put snow into the water table. lots of red tape there and double standards (the city of Rochester can dump into the river but I can't).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.