1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

So now that Nemo is done ,what is your opinion on Blizzards?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Feb 12, 2013.

?

Blizzards?

1. Love them

37.6%
  2. Hate them

36.6%
  3. I want one every time

12.9%
  4. I'm seasonal,I don't want any snow

17.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So ,all you new guys who wanted a Blizzard to plow because you thought it would be cool.Do you want to go though that again ,or would you prefer some nice and easy 2-4 inch snows?

2. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

The good news about Nemo was that the temps were low,and the snow was not saturated with moisture! If that had happened, all hell would have broken loose,and there would be no desire to repeat it. As it was, we plowed all of our residential drives 3 times, some 4 times, and the job was finished in 18 hours. Not bad, but certainly not a 4 hour plow for a 4" storm. I can recall one storm in the early 90's when we went out Friday night at 8 PM and didn't finish our route til Sunday at 4 PM non-stop, that was a blizzard!

3. M&M

M&M Senior Member

My motto for motivation during a hard or long night of plowing (and anyone can use it) is "Keep your eye on the prize!" The prize being the $$$$ that you'll make.

It's great when my wife calls and I'm all pissy because of this or that and she says "keep your eye on the prize." It really does help.

I picked the love them option on the poll. The prize is BIGGER!

4. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

I didn't mind it at all it was easy packing and we went early came home and went back out. Ill take one a week. But I want one like the blizzard of 96 .

5. 2ExploreSnow

2ExploreSnow Member

Oh, just give me an old-fashioned 20-30" snowstorm.

When you get into the severe storms, like a blizzard, you get into life-death situations. Wind whipped snow gets into homes where none had before. Snow is like concrete, only the stronger blowers and buckets are productive, pickups with plows are just about useless. The blizzard of '93 taught me that... 33" on top of a foot or so existing. and yes, there were places where we could drive on top of the snow, it was that packed... of course you'd fall through in nearby soft spot. Friends up in the Dakotas can attest to this as they have much more experience with them. So yes I'm more of the 'family friendly' versions of snowfall.

6. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

I agree with the above post.
    You other guys are crazy for wanting a blizzard. I want and need snow also but anything over 15inches gets too crazy. Think about all the drifting too. I have enough plow work that i make enough money in a 2-4 inch storm too be happy. Like someone else said there are sometimes dangerous situations with blizzards. But to each his own!

7. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Charge double, plow once? I'll take it.

8. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

Love them bills are huge and you can do one timers for $100-200 to dig them out. Big money maker. Does beat the truck though.

9. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Im here in the midwest where seasonal contracts are not that common. So my question for you guys on the east coast that have seasonal contracts is on a storm like Nemo are you expected to plow a event like that under your regular seasonal rate?

10. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Yes sir, unless there's a blizzard clause in your contract

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

2 inches ,2feet all the same ,easy push.

12. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

It's over I'm glad I have been through this before and still don't like it
    My seasonal contract has a clause over 10 inches is then is $100 an inch or more depends on size of lot
    Residential who pay $750-$1000 for the season get charged an extra $50 for snow over 10 inches
    I have always respected people who do this more often than one time a year people who really plow not what I do a bunch of 2-6 inch storms and call that hard work
    This storm cost me $12000 in labor fuel salt and 3 minor repairs
    I made over $20000 but how long will it be before I get paid 3 months it took years off my truck
    Long story short its over I'm done I want spring and glad I don't get that weather too often life goes on

13. BladeBlowBucket

BladeBlowBucket Member

So ?? … I guess if you were to add up the LOVE THEM ones and the I WANT ONE EVERYTIME ones that would be the same :nod: right ??? :drinkup::sleeping::sleeping:

14. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

2 to 4 inch snows every day are the most profitable.

15. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe for you but give me less than 1" every other day and I am good.

16. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

iv only got 2 z tolerance accounts

17. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

It was tough, I learned much. As in how important it is to have multiple two stage blowers. I lost a truck right off the bat that screwed me up pretty bad. In storms like this past one, you need to keep up the momentum at all times as not to fall behind. If I knew we were having another one of these, I would buy two more wranglers and set them up identical to the one I used during this storm. A driver, a passenger and a two stage where the back seat goes. I will also be taking the bed off of my F350 SRW, and put a cab width flat bed dump on it for hauling a spreader and busting out city berms in front of the drives. I would also like to have a small deere loader, like a 244J with a plate on it. Hauling the bobcats around was a HUGE PITA in the city. Had to have a guy just do circles in the truck and trailer while we cleared snow. Wicked PITA..... All in all we got through, but no where near as smooth as I would have liked.

To answer the question though, I'd take three or four 3 inch storms a week all season rather than 10 of these things all day long.

18. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Seems like most of the guys out east had it pretty good with this blizzard.

Whenever we get a blizzard with 12+ inches of snow, it seems to be accompanied by dangerous winds.

Couple of seasons ago that happened and everyone, including the DOT's pulled off the roads until the worst of the snow and wind subsided. There was no plowing with the storm so to speak as if you tried to travel between accounts you were asking for trouble.

It was a nightmare after that. Lots of snow and huge drifts where you normally didn't have drifting.

Then, you had customers calling the next morning to come plow them out when you couldn't even get down the street to their houses.

So no, I do not like blizzards between the lack of sleep, equipment breakdowns and brutally cold conditions afterwards.

19. vlc

vlc Senior Member

I was miserable during the storm, lost a transmission, and barely got any sleep. But after looking over my paperwork and seeing about how much I'll be billing out, my frown instantly turned upside down :)

20. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I havent even crunched numbers yet. I'm guessing around 15K, and that is after I clearly lost 2000-2500 because of a down truck.. Never anticipated reaching the fourth and fifth tier of my pricing schedule lol....